Deciding To Get My CCW - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Deciding To Get My CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Xsv,, I'm with you on the subcompacts my hands just feel akward holding them. I have a full sized 40 and got ccw intending to buy a "carry" gun, but after I started carrying what I had already realized that I didn't need a smaller gun, I'm not a giant dude but not tiny, 6'2 250#, I found I can appendix carry my full size 40 no problems at all, I think my biggest hangup was ME,, thinking EVERYBODY could see it,, haven't had a single issue. So I say get the ccw, then carry the 92 and see if you get comfortable with it,, if not then try a range that rents shoot the snot out of your candidate guns then decide. Couple buddies have Xd's and love them. ( wasn't gonna bag on your Block,, but I don't like em either). Good luck,, and get the ccw asap so you have the option to carry legally.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #12

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Yeah xd or Beretta px4 or...? I'm curious as to why no Bersa. They make a high quality 9mm that is large and offers a double stack grip width for bigger handed gents such as yourself.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Take a look at a CZ P07. It holds 15 rounds, they claims 16 but its 15. About 300 rounds into it you will find it has one of the smoothest triggers on the market. I carried mine till I got my M&P Compact.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #14

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Hell people don't notice anyways,, more than likely the ones who will ever notice did because their carrying too.
What Bear said. Only LEOs and other CCer's know what to look for. Carrying FS can be a problem in warm weather depending how you dress. I opt for something a little smaller, less cumbersome. MHO you understand.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Okay so collectively what I'm hearing is in most cases, carrying the bigger boys usually arn't a problem nor noticable to the average person just cruising around. But I'm suprised, no Ruger opinions? And yes I HATE my Glock but it's perfect for when buddies come shoot (and easy to clean sense I make them do it ). Um the Bersa comment, I don't like them because they feel weird, almost like they won't do what I tell them to do. Does that make any sense? It's kind of hard to describe but I'm sure most of you on here can appreciate or relate to that comment when it comes to handguns. And truthfully I've only shot two and they were both 380s.

Long story short, I think I'm stuck. Maybe I'll try to haul around the Beretta and see how I do, and if that doesn't work I'll opt for another pee shooter. I'd probably go with an M&P or an XD unless I find a good deal on a Sig or someone else convinces me otherwise.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought some concealed carry t-shirts at a gun show last year. They have a nylon pocket sewn about where a shoulder holster would hold your gun on your side, with a Velcro strap to hold your gun in place. With a jacket or loose over shirt you can conceal your Beretta, or any other full sized semi-auto or most revolvers easily. The key, I've found, is to have the shirt be just a tad on the snug side so that it hugs the gun to your body better. If the shirt is to loose, the gun tends to move around a bit and hang away from your body.... neither of which are conducive to concealed carry. Just my $0.02. I hope it helps.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBear_727
I bought some concealed carry t-shirts at a gun show last year.
I'm not sure drawing down on a BG with a tshirt is gonna have quite the same intimidation factor.Unless,,,, its one of those itchy polyester blends......
OR,,,, one of those tshirt guns they have at the circus....lmao

Jk of course. I actually have seen those, but had the same concerns, with my shouder holster my 40 still wants to sag,, I have to carry two mags on the other side just to balance it out,, and that's with the straps.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #18
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So sorry to start another debate, but hip or shoulder?

Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsV
So sorry to start another debate, but hip or shoulder?
Personal preferences:::
I like the shoulder rig in cooler months where you cam cover with a light to heavy jacket,, just dont go in anywhere you may have to take your jacket off if you get to hot. Some wear them under a jacket and a buttoned shirt in case jacket comes off. I'm not a fan of this, cus if you need to get to your weapon you don't want to be fumbling with buttons.
If not shoulder carrying I appendix carry, tshirts and shorts ( with a belt) and your good to go.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #20

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I've gone through about 8 guns for concealed carry. I've ended up with a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. I love the grip. It's a very reliable gun. I also feel it's not too heavy, and not too small.

Then again, regardless of what anyone says you need to at least pick up the gun and hold it in your hand before making up your mind. I'd highly suggest shooting them first as well.