Deciding To Get My CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Deciding To Get My CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
XsV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Deciding To Get My CCW

So now comes the decision of what to haul around. I have a G17 and a 92 but both of those might be a little heavy for everyday carry and I'm probably not gunna be able to hide the ole Ruger revolver. I thought I made up my mind and I was going to pick up an M&P (probably 9 or 40). But now I'm not sure. Any suggestions? I want above 380 caliber, I have big hands so nothing to small (a shield is too small), poly or metal, no glock, taurus, kahr, hi-point, or bersa.

Also, since I'm new to this whole CCW thing, are there any other tips or info I should know about? I'm going to get a holster from Armadillo Concealment because I'd rather not keep it in my pocket or something of that nature. But I would appreciate any and all advice or help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1254 Posts
Likes Given: 2245

For starters read the following thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

Concealed carry is a compromise between a gun big enough to be satisfying to shoot and a gun small enough to conceal. Pick a gun that you are comfortable shooting, willing to practice with regularly, and can shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Then start looking for a suitable holster.

Finally, search around this forum (and others) because there's a LOT of discussion of CCW and related topics here. Don't believe everything you read, try it for yourself. What works for someone else doesn't necessarily work for you (no matter what that someone else posted! )

And welcome to the forum!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

XsV Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6025 Times on 3411 Posts
Likes Given: 5633

Just get a shoulder holster and you can easily conceal a .44 Magnum under a sweatshirt.

A really nice ccw gun is the SIG P239.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Just get a shoulder holster and you can easily conceal a .44 Magnum under a sweatshirt.

A really nice ccw gun is the SIG P239.
I second the p239 as long as money is not an issue.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hell people don't notice anyways,, more than likely the ones who will ever notice did because their carrying too. I say rock your glock in the cooler months where light jackets can conceal even the big boys,, I cc a full size Usp year round, once YOU stop noticing you'll be good to go.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I carry a Glock 17 everyday. It was one of my first handguns that I purchased and have shot thousands of rounds through it. Its about to get replaced for either a 1911 or a Glock 21, haven't decided yet but I carry a full size gun because thats what I can shoot better and feel more comfortable carrying. My wife carries a Jframe and is pretty accurate out to 20 yards and she feels comfortable with that.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

glock 19, m&p 9 or .40 (both worthy), and a compact sig are probably your best bets. those 3 have outstanding reputations. i personally carry a shield and a sig p238 as my BUG or a quick pocket carry. good luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Hell people don't notice anyways,, more than likely the ones who will ever notice did because their carrying too. I say rock your glock in the cooler months where light jackets can conceal even the big boys,, I cc a full size Usp year round, once YOU stop noticing you'll be good to go.
The only problem with that is that I hate my Glock. That's why I bought my 92 in the first place.

So because I definitely don't have the money for a sig (which I wish I did) I think I've narrowed it down to an M&P, XD, or maybe a Ruger? Gaahhhhh I can't decide!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

By the way, pieces like the lcp, shield, subcompact XD, are all going to be waaay to small. I gotsta bigole hands.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsV
By the way, pieces like the lcp, shield, subcompact XD, are all going to be waaay to small. I gotsta bigole hands.
haha, i understand! i would go with the m&p in a 9 or .40. i was saying i carry a shield in a 9mm but my hands are smaller. you can always find a used sig or look for the sig sp2022. i got an sp2022 for about $450 with 2 mags. definitely sigs best secret.