Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Deciding To Get My CCW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/deciding-get-my-ccw-80486/)

XsV 01-06-2013 04:37 AM

Deciding To Get My CCW

So now comes the decision of what to haul around. I have a G17 and a 92 but both of those might be a little heavy for everyday carry and I'm probably not gunna be able to hide the ole Ruger revolver. I thought I made up my mind and I was going to pick up an M&P (probably 9 or 40). But now I'm not sure. Any suggestions? I want above 380 caliber, I have big hands so nothing to small (a shield is too small), poly or metal, no glock, taurus, kahr, hi-point, or bersa.

Also, since I'm new to this whole CCW thing, are there any other tips or info I should know about? I'm going to get a holster from Armadillo Concealment because I'd rather not keep it in my pocket or something of that nature. But I would appreciate any and all advice or help. :D

Balota 01-06-2013 05:19 AM

For starters read the following thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

Concealed carry is a compromise between a gun big enough to be satisfying to shoot and a gun small enough to conceal. Pick a gun that you are comfortable shooting, willing to practice with regularly, and can shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Then start looking for a suitable holster.

Finally, search around this forum (and others) because there's a LOT of discussion of CCW and related topics here. Don't believe everything you read, try it for yourself. What works for someone else doesn't necessarily work for you (no matter what that someone else posted! :D )

And welcome to the forum!

locutus 01-06-2013 02:50 PM

Just get a shoulder holster and you can easily conceal a .44 Magnum under a sweatshirt.

A really nice ccw gun is the SIG P239.

SigArmored 01-06-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1082471)
Just get a shoulder holster and you can easily conceal a .44 Magnum under a sweatshirt.

A really nice ccw gun is the SIG P239.

I second the p239 as long as money is not an issue.

Bear304inc 01-07-2013 03:49 AM

Hell people don't notice anyways,, more than likely the ones who will ever notice did because their carrying too. I say rock your glock in the cooler months where light jackets can conceal even the big boys,, I cc a full size Usp year round, once YOU stop noticing you'll be good to go.

fupuk 01-07-2013 06:59 AM

I carry a Glock 17 everyday. It was one of my first handguns that I purchased and have shot thousands of rounds through it. Its about to get replaced for either a 1911 or a Glock 21, haven't decided yet but I carry a full size gun because thats what I can shoot better and feel more comfortable carrying. My wife carries a Jframe and is pretty accurate out to 20 yards and she feels comfortable with that.

karateguy28 01-08-2013 05:19 PM

glock 19, m&p 9 or .40 (both worthy), and a compact sig are probably your best bets. those 3 have outstanding reputations. i personally carry a shield and a sig p238 as my BUG or a quick pocket carry. good luck!

XsV 01-09-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear304inc (Post 1083605)
Hell people don't notice anyways,, more than likely the ones who will ever notice did because their carrying too. I say rock your glock in the cooler months where light jackets can conceal even the big boys,, I cc a full size Usp year round, once YOU stop noticing you'll be good to go.

The only problem with that is that I hate my Glock. That's why I bought my 92 in the first place. :p

So because I definitely don't have the money for a sig (which I wish I did) I think I've narrowed it down to an M&P, XD, or maybe a Ruger? Gaahhhhh I can't decide!

XsV 01-09-2013 07:59 AM

By the way, pieces like the lcp, shield, subcompact XD, are all going to be waaay to small. I gotsta bigole hands. :D

karateguy28 01-09-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XsV
By the way, pieces like the lcp, shield, subcompact XD, are all going to be waaay to small. I gotsta bigole hands. :D

haha, i understand! i would go with the m&p in a 9 or .40. i was saying i carry a shield in a 9mm but my hands are smaller. you can always find a used sig or look for the sig sp2022. i got an sp2022 for about $450 with 2 mags. definitely sigs best secret.