Decided On a Taurus PT-145 V.S. a Bersa .45 ACP.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Decided On a Taurus PT-145 V.S. a Bersa .45 ACP.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Decided On a Taurus PT-145 V.S. a Bersa .45 ACP.

Well I have a Taurus Duo-Tone PT-145 .45 ACP on layaway.

I decided to go this route of a Bersa UC .45 ACP as it was priced at $359.99 and has 4 more rounds of capacity(6 if you use spacers & 24/7 mags).

Ya'll have any experience with this gun?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The PT145 duo tone is a 3rd gen MilPro so it should be a great gun for cc. I use the 10rd mags that came with the PT145 for concealed carry and the 24/7 12rd mags for reload and range time. My PT145 is a stainless one, not duo tone.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #3

Liked 354 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Between Bersa and Taurus, I'd choose Bersa every time.

Too many QC issues with Taurus. I hope you get a great one. The "good ones" are bargains for sure. The problem is that you're taking on the "lemon" risk when you purchase a Taurus.

I've shot some really solid Taurii that people picked up for extremely fair prices. I've also heard more horror stories about Taurus QC than any other manufacturer. So my wallet doesn't open for Taurus. Probably...you'll get a good one and be very happy with your purchase. I hope that's the case.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Sweeper makes some good points on Taurus. I have two, a 9mm Millenneum Pro PT-111 and a 38 Spec. M85. No problems with either but there are tons of complaints on Taurus so it seems to boil down to inconsistency in manufacture. Either you get a good one or you don't.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Well you get good and bad in all makes and models.

I own a Taurus Duo-Tone PT-1911 with around 300-350 rounds through it, a SS Public Defender 2" barrelled .45 LC/.410 revolver with around 50 shells through it neither gun has given me any problems.

I just acquired a M85 Duo-Tone UL .38 Spec revolver can't wait to get to Bake's to hear the beautiful chorus that a .410,.45 ACP, and a .38 Spec +P can create.

If I ever have a problem I'll call Customer Service and they will take care of it.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #6

Default Manufacturing

I have to hijack this thread for a moment.

I worked in manufacturing for 15 years. It's been my experience that most customer complaint are related to a defect in the customer. Take a person that doesn't know how to shoot, give them a pistol and when they can't shoot it, they blame the pistol.

I know it's not always the case and I've no doubt there are some experienced marksmen who have had a bad experience with all sorts of firearms. I don't deny that.

Rules of the Iron Coffin (WWI saying)

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. To bring that into the 21st century, that absolutely includes the internet.
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sweeper makes some good points on Taurus. I have two, a 9mm Millenneum Pro PT-111 and a 38 Spec. M85. No problems with either but there are tons of complaints on Taurus so it seems to boil down to inconsistency in manufacture. Either you get a good one or you don't.
I too have the same 9mm Millenneum Pro PT-111. If you didn't know who made it, took off all markings and let someone fire it they would swear by it. That gun is fantastic.

Hope your PT-145 is half as good as my PT-111 and you'll be very happy. Good choice.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have had a Taurus PT-145 since 2006. It is my main home defense piece from 10 pm to 6 am, when the house is dark and quiet. I have used it to pass the CWP qualification test, and never had any problem with it (no jamming, no FTF). The main reasons it is my nighttime piece is that it's OAL is only 6.1", which makes it unlikely a home invader would be able to wrestle it away from me. Also it is a .45 ACP, is plenty accurate in a home environment, and the matte stainless slide is pretty low-visibility in a dark room. The 10+1 capacity with quick reload via 2nd magazine makes it better than a revolver. I don't carry it a lot because it is kinda square and boxy, which makes it hard to conceal in the warm South Carolina climate.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've got a PT111, and it's a good little gun although I'm not crazy about those Heinie sights.
The thing I've heard most against Taurus is their customer service.
It can't be any worse than Beretta's CS
Anyway, of the half dozen or so Tauruses we have, I'll say they've all been good guns.
I shot a PT145 a while back, and it made me really really want one.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gator,
Enjoy your new MilPro. I have a PT140 and think it is an excellent and unique gun. I have not seen any other manufacturer offer such a compact grip with a full capacity mag. The MilPro grips are great and very concealable.