DE pricing? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

DE pricing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not going to say I'm the most experienced shooter, but double tap at 20 yards with a .50 and a 3" group is pure BS. I'm calling you on it. If you could do that you'd be a world class competition shooter. Considering a "good" double or triple at 10 yards is a 3-5" spread.
I can ding a 10" plate at 25 with 10 rounds pretty quick from a .45, but that's a far cry from hitting a 3inch pattern with a gun that the balance changes every shot you fire. It never fires consistently and the action sliding back into battery throws your shot off more than the recoil does because of the nose weight.

Now, if you want to talk Slow, Paced shooting and a 3" pattern, yes they can do that, but so can most every other pistol on the market. The shooting I did with one was at variable, unknown ranges. It performed adequately, but not spectacularly.

Currently there are 5 pistols models that performed with superior results in that scenario setting, M&P, Glock(17/34), USP(9mm), M9, and Sig P226. Yep, all 9mms Because the course takes 30 rounds to complete and a gun I had to reload 4 times was too slow. Their .45 caliber counterparts were not far behind but did do worse not because of accuracy, but because addition reloads added time to their results. Between the reload times, the constantly changing feel of the gun and the balance steadily shifting forward more and more heavily, and fatigue by the end of the run it was a shoe in for dead last among the semi-auto pistols. That's not even considering the fact that it's rediculously expensive to shoot. I ran it multiple times with the same rough results, ran one run trying to do quick triple shots at each target and had some straight up misses by the end of the run because my arms were tired from it's weight and recoil.

You'll also notice in my statement I said "if" you're not holding it right. it'll hurt you. not its going to hurt if you hold it properly.

If you plan on buying one for it to sit around and occasionally go out to a range and fire a few rounds here and there, fine. But if you intend on carrying it, and putting it to use and maybe using it in a defense role as a WROL sidearm option you're a misguided individual.

I don't own guns to have mantle ornaments, or fancy picture props for others to see. I own guns to USE them. The DE in my opinion is a rediculous unusable gun. It's too heavy and bulky, too expensive both to buy and to keep up good practice with. Its not a USEFUL gun. I own useful guns primarily, and generally carry one on my hip most of the time when I'm out and about on my property and a CCW when I'm out and about on someone elses property. I lugged that DE around for the better part of a day and it's nothing you want to carry, and nothing you want to shoot A LOT in one day.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #12

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im gonna buy me a DE .50 for CC and buy an ankle holster for it

Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
I'm not going to say I'm the most experienced shooter, but double tap at 20 yards with a .50 and a 3" group is pure BS. I'm calling you on it. If you could do that you'd be a world class competition shooter. Considering a "good" double or triple at 10 yards is a 3-5" spread.
I can ding a 10" plate at 25 with 10 rounds pretty quick from a .45, but that's a far cry from hitting a 3inch pattern with a gun that the balance changes every shot you fire. It never fires consistently and the action sliding back into battery throws your shot off more than the recoil does because of the nose weight.

Now, if you want to talk Slow, Paced shooting and a 3" pattern, yes they can do that, but so can most every other pistol on the market. The shooting I did with one was at variable, unknown ranges. It performed adequately, but not spectacularly.

Currently there are 5 pistols models that performed with superior results in that scenario setting, M&P, Glock(17/34), USP(9mm), M9, and Sig P226. Yep, all 9mms Because the course takes 30 rounds to complete and a gun I had to reload 4 times was too slow. Their .45 caliber counterparts were not far behind but did do worse not because of accuracy, but because addition reloads added time to their results. Between the reload times, the constantly changing feel of the gun and the balance steadily shifting forward more and more heavily, and fatigue by the end of the run it was a shoe in for dead last among the semi-auto pistols. That's not even considering the fact that it's rediculously expensive to shoot. I ran it multiple times with the same rough results, ran one run trying to do quick triple shots at each target and had some straight up misses by the end of the run because my arms were tired from it's weight and recoil.

You'll also notice in my statement I said "if" you're not holding it right. it'll hurt you. not its going to hurt if you hold it properly.

If you plan on buying one for it to sit around and occasionally go out to a range and fire a few rounds here and there, fine. But if you intend on carrying it, and putting it to use and maybe using it in a defense role as a WROL sidearm option you're a misguided individual.

I don't own guns to have mantle ornaments, or fancy picture props for others to see. I own guns to USE them. The DE in my opinion is a rediculous unusable gun. It's too heavy and bulky, too expensive both to buy and to keep up good practice with. Its not a USEFUL gun. I own useful guns primarily, and generally carry one on my hip most of the time when I'm out and about on my property and a CCW when I'm out and about on someone elses property. I lugged that DE around for the better part of a day and it's nothing you want to carry, and nothing you want to shoot A LOT in one day.
i carried my old de 357 every day in a belt holster. after a bit you get used to the weight. i found it to be almost the opposite of what you describe.

there are more reasons to buy guns than just useful. i have fun guns and hunting guns and so on. ive got a colt python that i shoot maybe once a year. is it a good useful gun?? yes. but its not one i would consider for anything other than a show and tell piece. same is true of the ithaca 1944 war surlpus 1911 i have.

just cuz a gun is big or heavy or not perfectly suited to ccw doesnt mean it sucks. there is more to firearms than ccw
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never said CCW was the only use for a gun, my Open carry is on a drop down molle platform, quick release mount for my serpa on there, tac belt has a knife, multi-tool, extra mags, flashlight, and mini first aid kit. But even on that setup I wouldn't carry a DE, and the .357 version I havn't shot, but i'm sure by the way the .50 was designed it's probably a lot lighter of a gun.

and as I stated, not everyone is going to go out and shoot 30 rounds out of a .50 DE in around 100 seconds with some running. THEN turn around do that 3 more times in the next 20 minutes and 4 more times 3hrs after that, shooting inbetween that time with high caliber bolt rifles and semi-auto runs with ARs and such. My experience isn't a typical average shooter experience. but running other guns, as I mentioned in my last post, have yielded better results and much less fatigue. Especially carrying 6 mags for that beast(which is my standard loadout for pistols during runs.) Add in the 9 mags for the AR, spare bcg, batteries, hydration pack, pouches with medkit, extra flashlights, rounds for my bolt gun, it all adds up and the .50 DE was just too much weight to carry, about 10 lbs of extra compared to the same loadout with a polymer frame pistol. On a light loadout like my everyday carry rig it would be upwards to twice as much weight if not 3x as much as the M&P45 that get carried on the rig and in my CCW.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #15

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i carried my old de 357 every day in a belt holster. after a bit you get used to the weight. i found it to be almost the opposite of what you describe.

there are more reasons to buy guns than just useful. i have fun guns and hunting guns and so on. ive got a colt python that i shoot maybe once a year. is it a good useful gun?? yes. but its not one i would consider for anything other than a show and tell piece. same is true of the ithaca 1944 war surlpus 1911 i have.

just cuz a gun is big or heavy or not perfectly suited to ccw doesnt mean it sucks. there is more to firearms than ccw
There was a man in Mexico who had a tumor on his face the size of a basketball. He got used to it too.

I won't knock the DE anymore than I already have, I'll just agree with you. No it's not perfectly suited for CC.