Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   DE pricing? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/de-pricing-49815/)

Kabraxis 10-14-2011 06:05 AM

DE pricing?

Went to my LGS today to pick up some batteries for my surefire light. i always look at what they have in stock while im there. i noticed they had a 358 DE. regular price $16xx.xx on sale for $12xx.xx. I've never looked into a desert eagle before or know to much about the pricing. is this a good deal?

robocop10mm 10-14-2011 06:17 AM

I am presuming you mean a .357 Mag DE. They are not the most desireable model. Everyone seems to want the .44 or 50AE models. A .357 can be had for under a grand in excellent condition.

Kabraxis 10-14-2011 06:24 AM

opps hit the 8 instead of 7. yea thats what im talking about. ya it looked a bit overpriced. its apparently brand new. this place tends to overcharge alot. i bought one gun from there and wont buy another from them. i over paid by $100 on my gun. but they do have the cheapest batteries in town O_o

TacticalPrecision 10-14-2011 04:59 PM

Yeah, the gunstore I visit has a 357 version in stock for 890, solid black model. I think they are a rediculous gun anyway and wouldn't waste money buying one. Leave their sales in the US to the kids with too much money who just want to go out and do stupid crap and waste ammo shooting pop cans.

Yes I've shot one, You can't double tap, you can't hold targets well at all, and the accuracy is mediocre at best on the .50s especially past about 20 yrds. They are made primarily with the idea that having to shoot someone twice is a waste of a bullet, and Since if you don't have a good grip on it and your wrist isn't in a good position when you shoot them you CAN'T fire a second time because you broke or sprained something it's a good idea to build around.

Money spent on one of these very overpriced obscenely heavy guns could get you 2 or even 3 guns in its place. For example, you could buy a Raging Bull in .44 Mag and a PX4 in .45 for around 1200 bucks.
or a Taurus 4510(.45 long colt / .410 shell) and another for the same.

There are other options too, S&W500 series, the Ruger Super Redhawk, Everything i've listed pretty much is Hundreds if not 1000 cheaper than most of the DE's you'll find. Friend of mine owns a Raging Bull and it's pretty intimidating if that's what you're after.

trip286 10-14-2011 05:47 PM

I passed on a matte black .50 DE a while back. Immaculate condition, and in the .50 AE round, those are worth just a little bit more, and this one's tag said $1,000 even.

I didn't have a grand to blow, and could barely wrap my hands around it anyway. 1200 for the .357 is a bit much I think, you could spend much less than that and get a S&W revolver and likely have better better experience with it.

Deagles are a bit finicky about getting dirty (according to consumer reviews I've read). My uncle had one in .44 mag and got rid of it because he said he had to clean it after every 3rd mag or it wouldn't cycle right.

MrWray 10-14-2011 09:07 PM

IMHO to me a desert eagle is just a conversation piece. Awesome range shooter to play around with but has no practical use in the field. Ive shot a .44 DE and it was badass to shoot but i wouldnt want one. The baby eagle doesnt look that bad though and now they make a 1911 thats pretty attractive. Not bashing them, i myself just dont have a practical use for one.

trip286 10-14-2011 09:25 PM

Oh I'd take one in a heart beat. Like I keep saying, if I had the money to blow on senseless stuff.

JonM 10-14-2011 09:44 PM

desert eagles are amazingly accurate in all the calibers. my first centerfire pistol was a desert eagle in 357mag. its got less felt recoil and faster on follow up shots than a berreta m9 in 9mm.

the size makes them impractical for anything revolving around self defense. but for target shooting and hunting they are superb. they are amazingly strong guns i dont think it is possible to make one go kaboom.

it takes a LOT of practice to get good with one. the 50AE version my wife took over can hit coke cans easily at 100yards open sights. from a rest they are easily moa handguns at 100 yards with a optic.

anyway the plain black used ones are under a grand right at a 1000$ for the 50ae version.

some models like the chromed or gold or tigerstriped ones run about 150-200 more. 1600$ for a used one is waaaaaay above new cost.

barrel length also adds a bit to the price but not much. if that gun comes with conversions for all three calibers its a fair deal.

WDB 10-15-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision (Post 601327)
Yeah, the gunstore I visit has a 357 version in stock for 890, solid black model. I think they are a rediculous gun anyway and wouldn't waste money buying one. Leave their sales in the US to the kids with too much money who just want to go out and do stupid crap and waste ammo shooting pop cans.

Yes I've shot one, You can't double tap, you can't hold targets well at all, and the accuracy is mediocre at best on the .50s especially past about 20 yrds. They are made primarily with the idea that having to shoot someone twice is a waste of a bullet, and Since if you don't have a good grip on it and your wrist isn't in a good position when you shoot them you CAN'T fire a second time because you broke or sprained something it's a good idea to build around.

Money spent on one of these very overpriced obscenely heavy guns could get you 2 or even 3 guns in its place. For example, you could buy a Raging Bull in .44 Mag and a PX4 in .45 for around 1200 bucks.
or a Taurus 4510(.45 long colt / .410 shell) and another for the same.

There are other options too, S&W500 series, the Ruger Super Redhawk, Everything i've listed pretty much is Hundreds if not 1000 cheaper than most of the DE's you'll find. Friend of mine owns a Raging Bull and it's pretty intimidating if that's what you're after.

I have to disagree with most of what you expressed. I own a DE .50 and have double and tripple tapped with a 3" group at 20 yards and didn't sprain or break anything. The grip is fine as long as you grip the firearm properly (like all firearms). It's far from a kids gun to do stupid stuff with. It was designed for the qualified shooter that wanted something more. The intent of the pistol was NEVER one round is enough, otherwise it would be a single shot. The weight of the pistol is heavy by design to keep rounds on target. It's isn't practicle or a CC pistol but it is a quality pistol that can and will put multiple rounds into a target or a badguy in the hands of a qualified shooter. Comparing whell guns to the DE makes no sense at all, two totally different platforms.

The pistol is expensive and the price the OP quoted is high. All the same you can buy a Taurus and a Ruger and a ? for the price of a quality 1911. Truly depends on what you want and your ability to shoot what you buy.

Olympus 10-15-2011 02:25 AM

Desert Eagle in .357 Mag just reminds me of a new Camaro with a V-6.

My old man has an older Mark 7 factory two-tone in 44 Mag with a 6x scope. From a rest at 75 yards, the gun will cloverleaf 5-shot groups all day long. But the gun is too heavy, and top heavy with the scope for any practical applications. My old mans is in pristine shape and he bought it used for $850.