Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which CZ to Pick?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which CZ to Pick?

It's almost time for me to get my first pistol and I've decided on a CZ 75, but I can't decide on exactly which one. The pistol will be used for both home defense and range work. I've narrowed it down to either the CZ 75 BD or the SP-01 tactical. I can't find much differences in the two other than the extra two rounds, extended beavertail, night sights and rail on the SP-01. Is there something I'm missing or are those the only differences? I know there are a few on here that have the 75 B or BD and recommend them, but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with the SP-01, and if it were you, which one would you get?

I know it probably seems silly, but right now I'm leaning towards the SP-01 simply because I think it looks better, but my mind could be changed if there was a good reason to get the 75 BD instead.

Thanks for any and all advice.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 04-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Maybe I'm just old, but I really liked my 75B in 9mm. It was a tack driver and so dependable as to be almost boring.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
if there was a good reason to get the 75 BD instead.
i got my 97BD because i use it for defensive reasons form time to time the decocker is a nice feature. if it was solely a target/range gun i would have gone with the B version.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I saw where TopGunSupply (a great company BTW) has the CZ P-01 for $459. I had one of these and they are great guns...

CZ-75 Compact P01, Fixed Sights, 9mm - Top Gun Supply

Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #5

Is there any opportunity for you to shoot both pistols before you purchase? I like my 75B and have been contemplating an SP01.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I saw where TopGunSupply (a great company BTW) has the CZ P-01 for $459. I had one of these and they are great guns...

CZ-75 Compact P01, Fixed Sights, 9mm - Top Gun Supply
I was looking at those, but I wanna get something with some more weight to it to help with recoil. This will be my first handgun and I don't wanna develop any bad flinching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekarra View Post
Is there any opportunity for you to shoot both pistols before you purchase? I like my 75B and have been contemplating an SP01.
Unfortunately no. The only place around here that used to rent guns had a couple people rent guns and shoot themselves in the range, so they no longer do it and no one I know owns either gun.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My CZ 75B 9mm weighs 2.2lbs unloaded, then add 16+1rds and it handles quite nicely on the range.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I was looking at those, but I wanna get something with some more weight to it to help with recoil. This will be my first handgun and I don't wanna develop any bad flinching.

-Fred
Fred, the recoil on aluminum frame guns in 9mm is minimal, and I wouldn't expect flinching to be a problem for you. Now if you were looking at a .40, I wouldn't say the same. The ergo's on the P01 are among the best I have ever held in my hand - bar none. The only reason I don't still have the P01 is I was offered one I really wanted in trade for it...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Fred, the recoil on aluminum frame guns in 9mm is minimal, and I wouldn't expect flinching to be a problem for you. Now if you were looking at a .40, I wouldn't say the same. The ergo's on the P01 are among the best I have ever held in my hand - bar none. The only reason I don't still have the P01 is I was offered one I really wanted in trade for it...
I'll definitely look into it as well then. I'll have to make my rounds to all the local gun shops to see if they have them in stock so I can hold it and compare it with the others.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like the good old CZ 75B. I owned a BD as my first 9mm and loved it, although I didn't much care for the decocker (I prefer a pure single action gun, I didn't know it then).

Accurate, reliable, good looking (to me at least) and well priced. What's not to like?

The SP01 is great, I don't think that the 75BD will outperform it and there's no reason not to get it if you like it better. I just don't care for the rail, but I wouldn't mind adding one to my arsenal.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)