Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > "cz phantom vs s&w m&p9 vs m&p pro opinions"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalintentions View Post
Those of you with the .45's, how is muzzle flip on those? Have you shot the 9mm's? Also what size gun (frame) and length barrel are you running?
I don't know a lot so I'm not sure what you mean by muzzle flip. How would I know the size of the gun frame? Isn't it pretty standard to all three M&P handgun models? I'm pretty sure the barrel is 3 or 4 inches. Again I'm not sure exactly how to answer but just let me know and I'll post my info

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #12

Thanks for the reply Randy. I myself do not know to much either, what I do know is the m&p has a few different things in the line long gun (ar style rifle), revolvers, and semi auto pistols which I am asking about. I seen them in full size and compact frames. The full size can have 4.25, 4.5, or 5" barrels. By muzzle flip I mean when you pull the trigger does the gun jump up a lot and take a while to get back on target. Maybe muzzle flip was the wrong word for that.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm running the full size 4.5 inch M&P 45. The rise isn't much more than the 9mm. I've got a BHP 9mm and I do shoot better after shooting the 45 but like I said recoil isn't much more. Frame on the M&P series is the same but the barrel lengths are different. The 9 and 40 are 4.25".

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
By muzzle flip I mean when you pull the trigger does the gun jump up a lot and take a while to get back on target. Maybe muzzle flip was the wrong word for that.
Your terminology is fine. 45acp kicks straight back more so than sending the muzzle up. I find that my right (trigger hand) elbow absorbs a great deal of the recoil. It's not much tougher to shoot than 9mm in my opinion, and offers quicker target reacquisition than 40sw.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Those of you with the .45's, how is muzzle flip on those? Have you shot the 9mm's? Also what size gun (frame) and length barrel are you running?
Muzzle flip? Seems like getting the first round on target and that round doing its job is of top importance.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #16

@jeepergeo- agreed that's my over all goal, accuracy.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #17

I'd have to be grouped with those that would push you towards the M&P. I love the CZ autos and one of my favorite handguns in the CZ75 SA in 9mm. Like sweeper22 pointed out, though, parts and accessories for the M&P are going to be much more plentiful. You can now get just about any holster manufacturer with several models for the M&P, the CZ weapons might be hit or miss. Thankfully MecGar mags the CZ mags and they can be found for around $25.00 each which is about the same price as most M&P mags. The changeable backstraps on the M&P really help make the gun an even greater pleasure to shoot.

I own both the M&P9 Pro 4.25" version and the M&P45 4.5" version with thumb safety and they are 2 of my favorite pistols. The muzzle flip on the .45 is almost non existent and just working on your grip will help eliminate any that you might have. I shoot IDPA with my M&P45 and will regularly be in the top 3 or 4 shooters posting faster times than many 9mm shooters.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Bought an M&P 9 Carry and Range kit. $509 + tax. Full size, 4.5" barrel. First gun. After a few times out at the range can put three magazines worth of rounds into a spread-hand sized grouping at 10 yards.
Love the Carry and Range kit. It included a Kytex holster, 3 magazines, a magazine holster, Magula loader, ear protection and the case. Most importantly the M&P is AMERICAN MADE!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #19

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Also plan on purchasing the M&P 22 pistol later this year. Same basic frame, weight, site line and look of the M&P9, but can use it to throw much cheaper 22 rounds down range to extend my range time.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
@jeepergeo- agreed that's my over all goal, accuracy.
The 45 ACP seems more capable of doing the job than a 9 mm. I'm not knocking a 9 mm as they have their place. But comparing a 45 ACP to 9 mm is about as helpful as comparing 22 LR to .222 Swift - both are great rounds, but each has a range of optimal capabilities.

I summary, my theory is to put most of the emphasis on making the first shot count as there may not be a chance to take a second shot. In hunting, once that first round is fired, a poor or ineffective hit means game on the run and running game means it will be unlikely or very hard to land a second round.