"cz phantom vs s&w m&p9 vs m&p pro opinions"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > "cz phantom vs s&w m&p9 vs m&p pro opinions"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default "cz phantom vs s&w m&p9 vs m&p pro opinions"

Tax returns will be here by the end of the week. After years of wanting a gun and recently shooting quite often with friends and their guns, I have decided its time to make my purchase. I'm having trouble deciding on which of the three to choose from. A little about me I'm 6'1" 350 lbs so I'm not worried about concealment size. Hell I lost the remote for the tv with an adjustment in sitting. I also have decided on a polymer frame because you know that extra pound is gonna kill me... Lol, all joking aside the gun will be used for home defense and target shooting. I'm looking for personal experience on either if not both you have fired or fondled. I have decided to go with one of these full size poly framed 9mm for the simple facts comfort (interchangeable backstraps), weight, and ammo prices are low, I am not a rich man and I plan on practicing. I hear both the phantom and m&p will benefit from a trigger job, however the m&p pro series has the improved trigger and sights. I can get the phantom or the pro for about the same price and about 75 dollars less for the basic m&p. By the way the m&p will be the 4.25 inch barrel (not the 5" it just looks funny to me) vs the phantoms 4.72. How much of a difference do you think that will make in accuracy? Also your thoughts on hammer vs striker fire? What ammo do you prefer to use in these for home defense and which ammo for range. One last thing I am in California so I'm limited to 10 round mags. Please none one try and get me to buy a glock. It is between these 3 guns!!! So let me have it!!!

cztop.jpeg   109201_01_md.jpeg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

The M&P is a sweet gun. I didn't notice a need for a trigger job on the one I fired, but then, I don't really require perfection in my trigger. I should mention though, the M&P looks suspiciously a lot like my FNP-9. Hadn't noticed the similarities until now as I don't own the M&P. Just shot a buddies.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have an M&P9c and after 300 or so rounds through it so far I don't think the trigger is bad at all. I don't know anything about the CZ but I can say that my M&P has been a great EDC and shoots great!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #4

I am for the M&P!! Of course its my EDC too, bias maybe. It works well with a Crossbreed IWB.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Rock …Paper...Sissors a few times and you'll have a good answer since you already narrowed it down to some nice selections.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Question: Is a hammer important to you? If so cz. That's the gun I'm going to buy, except in steel. The tactical with night sights. Good luck and sorry about no 18+1 for you.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

On paper, I like the CZ best. I've found everything in the CZ 75 family to be exceptionally reliable, accurate, and near perfect ergonomically. It's also a better looking gun IMO. But I've never shot the poly (Phantom version) SP-01. Word is, the trigger isn't so hot.

All personal bias aside, I'd probably push you toward the SW M&P. In their fairly limited history the feedback I hear is really positive. They seem to have pretty nice ergos and you'll find parts and accessories to be far more readily available (and affordable) due to numerous LEO contracts the SW's are filling.

FWIW- My preference in hi-cap service pistols is CZ, BHP, or Sig for metal guns, and SA XD/XDm in polymer.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #8

Likes Given: 2

I have an M&P .45

I like it for several reasons:
-no safety
-changable backstraps
- Jointed trigger is a pleasure for me to pull
- Viewing portal on top of the slide so you can see when a round is chambered.

I really really like this weapon. It was my first handgun, and my first semi auto handgun. I am planning on getting more from the M&P family when I can afford it.
You can find them for a good price on sale too

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh
I have an M&P .45

I like it for several reasons:
-no safety
-changable backstraps
- Jointed trigger is a pleasure for me to pull
- Viewing portal on top of the slide so you can see when a round is chambered.

I really really like this weapon. It was my first handgun, and my first semi auto handgun. I am planning on getting more from the M&P family when I can afford it.
You can find them for a good price on sale too
I ditto his statements although it's my third handgun second polymer. First was a Glock, the Glock is no longer with us but the Smith will be here for a long time. If that helps at all. Also mine is a 45

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 02-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #10

Those of you with the .45's, how is muzzle flip on those? Have you shot the 9mm's? Also what size gun (frame) and length barrel are you running?