CZ-75b magazine question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > CZ-75b magazine question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default CZ-75b magazine question

Hey guys, i bought 4 barely used factory mags for my CZ-75b (fairly standard 9mm model). Three look exactly the ones that came with my pistol, but one has these two indentions coming up from the bottom of the mag to just below the hole labeled "16". Also kinda strange is the font for the numbers on the mag (5, 10, 16) is different than the other mags, and there is a "15" hole on the other side of the mag.

The seller showed pics & disclosed the indentions, but did not explain. Anybody know why this mag looks different.

I will try to get some pics up this afternoon.

Thanks!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Had to charge the camera battery.

Magazine with indention that other mags lack:

Pistol:

No, i still haven't read the thread about uploading picssss properly.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Now I could be wrong, but I believe there might be a couple of reasons why that particular magazine looks different from the rest of the ones you have discussed. The first, is because that particular magazine is a newer CZ factory model magazine for the current run of CZ 75 pistols. The second is that it might be because that particular magazine is an actual Czech made magazine and not a US made one. What I mean is that some of the factory standard magazines for the CZ pistols sold here in the US were actually made here in the US as well, and were in fact Mec-Gar magazines and not CZ made magazines. I know this because the two factory standard magazines that came with my NIB CZ 75B back in 2008 were Mec-Gar magazines and not CZ made magazines. I personally think that the latter case rather than the former is what you have going on. In other words, the three other magazines are probably Mec-Gar factory magazines, and the fourth magazine is an actual CZ magazine from the Czech Republic. Like I said before, I may be completely wrong with either case, but that is the only two solutions that I can think of. I hope that helps.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 01-28-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The magazine in your picture is identical to the two factory magazines that came with my 2005 stainless 75B. My CZ82 has the same style magazine for it too and it was built in 1994. I can say those indention's will limit the capacity even if you trim the spring and follower and/or add an extended base pad. Why they limited the mags to 12 rounds in the CZ82 and 16 in the 9mm CZ75B is anybodies guess. CZ may have put them their for some other reason though, I just can't imagine why else they would be there. Some handguns use the same and similar method to restrict their 10-round mags.

The Mec-Gar magazines for my 75B don't have the grooves in them, both the 16 round and 19 round have straight wall magazine bodies.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
The magazine in your picture is identical to the two factory magazines that came with my 2005 stainless 75B. My CZ82 has the same style magazine for it too and it was built in 1994. I can say those indention's will limit the capacity even if you trim the spring and follower and/or add an extended base pad. Why they limited the mags to 12 rounds in the CZ82 and 16 in the 9mm CZ75B is anybodies guess. CZ may have put them their for some other reason though, I just can't imagine why else they would be there. Some handguns use the same and similar method to restrict their 10-round mags.

The Mec-Gar magazines for my 75B don't have the grooves in them, both the 16 round and 19 round have straight wall magazine bodies.
So your 2005 stainless came with the same magazines as pictured above? Well then, I will admit that puts me in the wrong.

Still, do you know when they made the switch with the magazines though? As I said before the two factory standard 16 round magazines that came with my CZ 75B back in 2008 were Mec-Gar magazines and not CZ ones.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 01-28-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
So your 2005 stainless came with the same magazines as pictured above? Well then, I will admit that puts me in the wrong.

Still, do you know when they made the switch with the magazines though? As I said before the two factory standard 16 round magazines that came with my CZ 75B back in 2008 were Mec-Gar magazines and not CZ ones.
I don't know when they made a change, I was told that all the mags from CZ were Mec-Gars. With my original mags not matching the new Mec-Gars it makes me wonder where their mags come from.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys. I have heard before that Mecgar makes the CZ75b mags.

After loading up the new mags and doing some side-by-side comparisons, i am even more confused. The font on the two 17 round Mecgar mags i ordered earlier this month is a very close match to the font on the indented mag i just purchased (but not to the non-indented mags), however most of the indented mag's numbers (5,10,16) are on the mag's left side (side facing my face when in the pistol) with only the "15" on the mag's right side while the 17 round Mecgars are numbered on the other side, right side, only. The other non-indented mags (flat base plate, OEM-looking) are numbered on their left side only. The mags that came with my used CZ and the three non-indented mags from this weeks purchase match each other in all respects, font, capacity, etc.

They all seem to hold their listed capacity. The spring on the indented mag seemed a tiny bit softer when i loaded it, but that may have been my imagination.

Weird!