CZ 52 Opinions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > CZ 52 Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default CZ 52 Opinions?

What's the general opinion of the CZ52? From what little I know, they're supposed to be better that the Tokarev. The only weakness I know of is firing pins breaking.

I realize it's an old design, but I like the idea of the round's almost rifle like qualities. They can be had inexpensively and ammunition is pretty cheap.

So, what say you?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

While I have never owned one, I know people that do and I have shot them.
IMO they are better built than the Tokarev.
The slide is easy to remove and it uses a sort of H&K style roller bearing system.
The one I shot performed flawlessly and was pretty accurrate for someone who had never shot one (although I was only shooting at about 12 yards at an empty quart oil bottle).
I have heard of firing pins breaking, but mostly only if dry fired.
I've heard that you can get aftermarket firing pins, but I've never looked.

I own a CZ 70 (.32acp) and I do not regret the purchase, I've had people try to buy it from me, but I won't sell it because I like it so much.

IMO for the price, you can't go wrong with a surplus CZ

Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Pretty accurate, ammo's real cheap. Replacement firing pins are readily available (better quality than original, too). In fact, pretty much all parts are readily available. I haven't had a lot of luck with some of the after-market magazines -- you're better off with the originals.

Don't know if you've handled one or not -- they're a lot bigger in person than they look in pictures. Also, the original slide release really isn't meant to be handled manually (nothing for your thumb to push on). I'm also not crazy about the mag release being on the bottom of the grip -- I'm unable to operate it quickly; it's a two hand fumble-finger operation for me!

CZ-52's are getting harder to find, too -- which is driving the price up.

Here's mine with some replacement grips. If you want to see a photo-diary of replacing the Slide Release (recommended) and Grips, check out http://www.findgunsites.com/articles/CZ52-Slide-Release-and-Grips.html

Last edited by woodsong; 12-12-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's an interesting article Woodsong. Thanks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I had one and it was lots of fun, Don. It was very cool at long range in the dez. They can be easily re-barreled in 9x19, too. Traded mine to a friend.

The Romanian pistol ammo is still cheap and plentiful, but the SMG ammo is said to be too hot for them.

I still have about 1200 rds of Rom ammo left.

I've seen guys recut the front strap to make it a little "straighter".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."