Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Cycling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cycling

I mix different kind of ammo in my pistol`s magazines( specially in the 9mm's, some ar regular pressure,some +P,some +P+,different weights ,etc),in theory ,is this going to affect cycling,is it a bad idea?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If your pistol & mags are mechanically sound it should operate just fine. There will be a difference in cycling, especially between normal and +p(+) ammo as the slide will move faster. Accuracy will be affected as different ammo with different weights will shoot to a different POA. Not sure why you'd do it myself as it would be difficult to track down problems. It would be good for a "stress test" of a gun though...

Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always mix in ball, hollow point, +P, etc in my magazines when I'm breaking in a pistol to see if I can force a malfunction. If the gun runs smoothly with a mix then it is one step closer to being a trusted defense pistol. After several hundred rounds of ball, mixed magazines, weakhand shooting, and then at least 100 rounds of my defense load without a malfuntion, the gun can go "into service."

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #4

I don't see why that would cause malfunctions over using a whole mag of type (x) ammo. I wouldn't think it would matter whether you've got it mixed or have a whole mag. I don't see where it would change anything from a mechanical standpoint.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the answers, the reason I mix the different type of ammo in my "defense" magazines is debatable ,and it would be good to hear your opinions too:
The concept basically is that since it's kind of unpredictable how a bullet will perform ,I rather have different types just in case.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I don't see why that would cause malfunctions over using a whole mag of type (x) ammo. I wouldn't think it would matter whether you've got it mixed or have a whole mag. I don't see where it would change anything from a mechanical standpoint.

-Fred
Some ammo may be weaker or stronger and will have an affect on slide reaction.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Some ammo may be weaker or stronger and will have an affect on slide reaction.
That part I get. But I don't see where one shot will affect what happens on the next shot. The different shots totally separate actions and should act the same no matter what the shot before it did or the shot after it will do.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
That part I get. But I don't see where one shot will affect what happens on the next shot. The different shots totally separate actions and should act the same no matter what the shot before it did or the shot after it will do.

-Fred
If you happen to use ammo your gun doesn't like - there will be no "next shot" without a clearing drill...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FCross7 is trying to say that even though ammo can cause a malfunction, cycling different ammo will not cause a malfunction. The gun will only fire one round at a time. The "bad" ammo will not care if it is in a magazine with a bunch of "good" ammo or with a bunch of the "bad" ammo. It is still more likely to malfunction than a magazine of known "good" ammo.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
If you happen to use ammo your gun doesn't like - there will be no "next shot" without a clearing drill...
This is true.

I may have misread the posts, but it seemed to me that some were saying that using different types of ammo in a single mag made it more likely to jam than using a single type of ammo. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
FCross7 is trying to say that even though ammo can cause a malfunction, cycling different ammo will not cause a malfunction. The gun will only fire one round at a time. The "bad" ammo will not care if it is in a magazine with a bunch of "good" ammo or with a bunch of the "bad" ammo. It is still more likely to malfunction than a magazine of known "good" ammo.
This is exactly what I'm saying. If the round is gonna cause a jam, it's gonna cause a jam regardless of what other rounds are in the magazine, be it the same type or something different.

I'm not knocking what anyone else does, we all have little things we do different than anyone else. I guess I just didn't see the point at first, but it is a little quicker way of finding out what type of ammo your gun likes if it's picky.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by FCross7; 09-23-2010 at 03:23 AM.