Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Cycling (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/cycling-31978/)

kcolg 09-20-2010 07:31 AM

Cycling

I mix different kind of ammo in my pistol`s magazines( specially in the 9mm's, some ar regular pressure,some +P,some +P+,different weights ,etc),in theory ,is this going to affect cycling,is it a bad idea?
Thanks

NGIB 09-20-2010 08:06 AM

If your pistol & mags are mechanically sound it should operate just fine. There will be a difference in cycling, especially between normal and +p(+) ammo as the slide will move faster. Accuracy will be affected as different ammo with different weights will shoot to a different POA. Not sure why you'd do it myself as it would be difficult to track down problems. It would be good for a "stress test" of a gun though...

Missileman 09-21-2010 01:31 PM

I always mix in ball, hollow point, +P, etc in my magazines when I'm breaking in a pistol to see if I can force a malfunction. If the gun runs smoothly with a mix then it is one step closer to being a trusted defense pistol. After several hundred rounds of ball, mixed magazines, weakhand shooting, and then at least 100 rounds of my defense load without a malfuntion, the gun can go "into service."

FCross7 09-21-2010 05:22 PM

I don't see why that would cause malfunctions over using a whole mag of type (x) ammo. I wouldn't think it would matter whether you've got it mixed or have a whole mag. I don't see where it would change anything from a mechanical standpoint.

-Fred

kcolg 09-21-2010 10:06 PM

Thanks for all the answers, the reason I mix the different type of ammo in my "defense" magazines is debatable ,and it would be good to hear your opinions too:
The concept basically is that since it's kind of unpredictable how a bullet will perform ,I rather have different types just in case.

danf_fl 09-21-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 354787)
I don't see why that would cause malfunctions over using a whole mag of type (x) ammo. I wouldn't think it would matter whether you've got it mixed or have a whole mag. I don't see where it would change anything from a mechanical standpoint.

-Fred

Some ammo may be weaker or stronger and will have an affect on slide reaction.

FCross7 09-22-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 354997)
Some ammo may be weaker or stronger and will have an affect on slide reaction.

That part I get. But I don't see where one shot will affect what happens on the next shot. The different shots totally separate actions and should act the same no matter what the shot before it did or the shot after it will do.

-Fred

NGIB 09-22-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 355405)
That part I get. But I don't see where one shot will affect what happens on the next shot. The different shots totally separate actions and should act the same no matter what the shot before it did or the shot after it will do.

-Fred

If you happen to use ammo your gun doesn't like - there will be no "next shot" without a clearing drill...

Texanbybirth 09-23-2010 03:03 AM

FCross7 is trying to say that even though ammo can cause a malfunction, cycling different ammo will not cause a malfunction. The gun will only fire one round at a time. The "bad" ammo will not care if it is in a magazine with a bunch of "good" ammo or with a bunch of the "bad" ammo. It is still more likely to malfunction than a magazine of known "good" ammo.

FCross7 09-23-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 355407)
If you happen to use ammo your gun doesn't like - there will be no "next shot" without a clearing drill...

This is true.

I may have misread the posts, but it seemed to me that some were saying that using different types of ammo in a single mag made it more likely to jam than using a single type of ammo. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanbybirth (Post 355823)
FCross7 is trying to say that even though ammo can cause a malfunction, cycling different ammo will not cause a malfunction. The gun will only fire one round at a time. The "bad" ammo will not care if it is in a magazine with a bunch of "good" ammo or with a bunch of the "bad" ammo. It is still more likely to malfunction than a magazine of known "good" ammo.

This is exactly what I'm saying. If the round is gonna cause a jam, it's gonna cause a jam regardless of what other rounds are in the magazine, be it the same type or something different.

I'm not knocking what anyone else does, we all have little things we do different than anyone else. I guess I just didn't see the point at first, but it is a little quicker way of finding out what type of ammo your gun likes if it's picky.

-Fred