Crimson Trace vs. Lasermax
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Crimson Trace vs. Lasermax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Crimson Trace vs. Lasermax

OK
Am going to be putting laser sights on my XD 45 compact
at first I thought I would go with the Crimson Trace grip style
but I have heard alot of people say they don't like the way they make the grip feel. So now I'm looking at the Lasermax Guide Rod style. Looks very promising but not sure about changing a steel guide rod to the lasermax. Even though my KelTec P3AT has a plastic guide rod and I know Glocks also have plastic guide rods with no issues

Even though the XD has a rail. That type of mounted laser is not going to be an opition I'll go I may use the rail later for a flashlight. But even doubt that.

Any opinions and reasons for the opinions on
Crimson Trace LG-445 vs. Lasermax LMS-4XD45-ACP
(grip) ( guiderod)
would be definetly be appreciated because the cost of these things
are definetly a down payment on another decent weapon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Maybe just me, but I am leery of replacing a part of my weapon that enables it to function. different folks have different hands. Try the lasermax, and see how they feel to YOU. I have small hands, but like the feel of most of their stuff.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
I have a xd .45 as well. even though I do not have any lasers on it, I would go with the crimson over lasermax for your XD. Just my thought. I know you hear the stories about the way it feels, but I held an xd with a crimson on it, and its really not that bad, especially if your into lasers. I hear they are real good, but little on the pricey side.

When you do finally get what you want. please be sure to post pictures!

Thanks
I will it may be close to Xmas done put it on my list to the OL
Cost is pricey on both the best deals I've found are on eBay with the Crimson trace about $250 the Laser Max $290
the only thing I do like about the lasermax is it internal
it also has a pulsating beam I'm not sure about and the activation switch sounds cumbersom

the crimson trace has the actvation switch I like and a solid beam
decisions decisions

Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is not mentioned here, but does your XD have the ambidextrious thumb saftey on it, it is opitional, but mine has it and the Crimson Trace will not fit, had to send it back and get a laser max rail, I thought about the rod system, but did not know how it would hold up. So when in doubt, go with trised and true.

Layton

Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
It is not mentioned here, but does your XD have the ambidextrious thumb saftey on it, it is opitional, but mine has it and the Crimson Trace will not fit, had to send it back and get a laser max rail, I thought about the rod system, but did not know how it would hold up. So when in doubt, go with trised and true.

Layton

No it does not
I opted against that option so Im good to go with either setup

But thanks for mentioning that it maybe helpful to other readers Crimson trace does not yet make a grip laser for the ambi-saftey model
also the Model LG-446 is for all xd's except the 45acp it takes the LG-445
and I won't be going rail cause I use IWB carry and don't Want to deal with holster issues and want a permenent mounted laser

Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #6

I have a lasermax on my XD45 Tactical. It's ok. It was already installed when i purchased the pistol from a buddy, so i just let it stay. I'm just not a fan of lasers, but the lasermax is pretty handy. I put a set of CT grips on my fiancee's LCR, and they don't really help much unless your just a horrible shot.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
would be definetly be appreciated because the cost of these things
are definetly a down payment on another decent weapon
Thats probably your best investment.

But if your mind is stuck on a laser and possibly a light later, why not get a laser/light combo? Weapon Lights at CopsPlus

Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Thats probably your best investment.

But if your mind is stuck on a laser and possibly a light later, why not get a laser/light combo? Weapon Lights at CopsPlus
the only combos I have found are rail mount and that is not a option I want for the laser maybe a part time use flashlight

Old 09-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've heard mostly good about Crimson trace, I haven't tried one because I shoot left hand so hard to operate or my grip may get in the way of the laser. Might be a thought to consider if you have to shoot lefty/off hand at any point. Laser max makes a good product, I have a low profile rail mount on a FNP-40 and a light/laser combo with a quick concect rail mount I use on S&W M&P 45. I like the idea of a guide rod mounted laser but wonder about the pulse beam over a steady beam and the battery life.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I've heard mostly good about Crimson trace, I haven't tried one because I shoot left hand so hard to operate or my grip may get in the way of the laser. Might be a thought to consider if you have to shoot lefty/off hand at any point. Laser max makes a good product, I have a low profile rail mount on a FNP-40 and a light/laser combo with a quick concect rail mount I use on S&W M&P 45. I like the idea of a guide rod mounted laser but wonder about the pulse beam over a steady beam and the battery life.
I'm right handed but left eye dominant
which was fun to overcome when learning to shoot handguns
But beside the point why would a left handed grip interfere with laser I'm curious

I'm really starting to lean toward the lasermax guiderod but it sure would be nice to test them both side by side
no gunranges close to me with rentals but I may call bass pro in Springfield and see if they have anything to compare at their gun range