Considering a Kel-Tec P9 or P11 in 9mm - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Considering a Kel-Tec P9 or P11 in 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I have heard ill reports about the P11 and it's crappy trigger. My PF9 is my most carried handgun. I've fired around 200 rds through it. I'm comfortable with it.

I wouldn't exactly term it " crappy, " but it is long & harder to pull. No more than most revolvers in double action. The PF9 is better, though. Many owners are very pleased with these, & if customer service is needed, it is great !

Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought a P11 Friday night - brought it home & cleaned it.

I went to the range today and put about 125 rounds through my P11.

I found the following:

It does not kick anywhere near as hard as I expected.

It was more accurate than I expected.

I found that you are correct "you might find the trigger needs a little de-horning on the tip to keep it from digging into your finger" the trigger tip needs to have the bump on the tip removed.

I had 4 jams (mainly stove pipes - failure to completely remove the spent shell) out of my 1st 120 rounds - more than I expected .

It fit well in my front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

It fit well in my hand.

I need to add the finger extension on each of my magazines.

I think I'm going to replace the plastic guide rod with a stainless steel rod (no reason other than looks)

Trigger pull is longer than I expected, but fairly consistent in where it breaks.

Sights are much better than my Ruger LCP.

I'm eager to clean it and finish "breaking it in".

If the ejection (stove pipes) go away.

Overall - I very satisfied with my Kel-Tec 11.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Instead of the PF9, I would get the Walther PPS and instead pf the P11, I would get the Glock 26. Go ahead and compare these two against the Kel-Tec's and I think you will find them to be almost the same size but better quality with more firepower. Just my opinion from experience with these guns. I own a Kel-Tec 3AT and use it in a pocket holster or my ankle holster and have had no problems with this gun but when it comes to the 9mm, I choose the two that I mentioned.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #14

KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group

The above site has a " Tec Works " link on the left & also a bulletin board.[ forum ] That can be of great help.
A good cleaning , polishing of the feed ramp, [ most any new pistol needs this done ] & greasing of the rails, makes most problems go away. These little pistols are affected by " limp wristing," which is probably the reason for the stove pipes. The finger extension gives you a better grip & that will help with that. A Hogue slip on grip will, too. Most ammo seems to work well in mine except for aluminum cased . Probably another 1-200 rounds thru it will help get it broken in. A fingernail file on the tip of the trigger & inside bottom of the trigger guard will help with the finger pinching. Get some " snap caps " & practice.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

SK2344

I've got a Glock 26 and it's a great gun, but not as easy to carry as the P11.

As for the Walther PPS

It's bigger and the ugliest Walther ever made imho -(i own 2 beautiful Walthers and I love Walthers ) and the cost is more than double.

+1 Esteban thanks for the solid advise.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
I'm considering getting a Kel-Tec in 9mm.

Do you like your Kel-Tec?

I've heard several people say that they wished they had gotten a P9 because it is smaller than the P11.

I copied this from the Kel-Tec website:

Kel-Tec P11 Chrome $390
Calibers: 9 x 19 mm Luger
Weight unloaded: 14 oz.
Loaded magazine: 6 oz.
Length: 5.6"
Height: 4.3"
Width: 1"
Barrel Length: 3.1"
Sight radius: 4.6"
Capacity: 10 + 1 *****
Trigger Pull: 9 lbs

Kel-Tec PF9 - Chrome $390
Calibers: 9mm Luger 9x19mm
Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.
Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz.
Length: 5.85"
Height: 4.3"
Width: .88"
Barrel Length: 3.1"
Capacity: 7 + 1 ***

What am I missing they look very similar in size.

The weight difference is only because of the additional bullets ??

I'm thinking about getting one or the other of these guns.

Any help / advice would be appreciated if you got any

The Pf9 is a better conceal because of its width, hence the 7+1 load, here a picture of how thin this thing is:
Considering a Kel-Tec P9 or P11 in 9mm - Semi-Auto Handguns
As for the price I paid aprox US$320+tax for this baby, the price on the website is a manufacturers recommended price.

How does it feel, the trigger has the feeling of a rugger-LCR .38spl is long, the real trigger action starts almost at the end of the pull.
It doesn't have a thumb safe, the safety mechanism is incorporated in the hammer, which is never completely cocked and is blocked from accidental discharge.

Another difference is the pf9 has a tactical rail if you'd like to put a light or laser.

This too is purely for self defense, for continuous firing at the range smooth out edges of the frame with fine sandpaper and apply a rubber grip from bicycle tire chamber, a 16" is good, and it helps grab the pistol when drawing practice, it won't slip from your fingers.

Now mind you I've tried to conceal several pistols an none comes close to this one, it'll fit your pocket with the right holster, inside an oversized lefty in the SOB is practically invisible, you can literally tuck a shirt in.

Here with night sights from glow-on.com since it is impossible to find after market sights for it.

In any case when we all go to the range everyone seems to favor this little pistol, we actually burn a lot of 9mm's with it

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #17

My P-11 with 15 round + 1 magazine. That is a S & W Model 59 mag with heavier Wolf Springs. It is so NASTY !
kel-tec0002.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #18

Default In the land of my ancestors

In the land of my ancestors people still ride horses and carry 1911's with what looks like a 30 round mag

Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #19

Default If you are thinking about a Kel-tec P11 check out the SCCY CPX-2 Second Generation

The CPX is very similar to the P-11, but with a much better trigger pull. I had a P-11 for a while, but it was very unpleasant to shoot. The SCCY 2nd Gen CPX has more features, same basic size and weight, and is very reliable. I purchased mine last week and have put 200 rounds through in without a hickup. I bought mine brand new (stainless)out the door with two mags for $246.00. They also make the same gun with an external safety. Stay away from the original Sccy models they have a terrible record.
The Kel-tec PF-9 is a great gun. I've had three of them. Sweet little gun especially with a Hoge slip on grip.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Gatopardo, i LOVE those sights!!!! i MUST get a set for my PF-9!! MUST! MUST!! MUST!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Newest Threads