Concealed Carry and Weight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Concealed Carry and Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Concealed Carry and Weight

I don't know how anyone carries anything weighing more than about a pound concealed. I carry a Ruger LCP concealed in a pocket. Rarely in an ankle holster but sometimes that way. I've tried other guns like a Kahr CM9 but find they are too heavy and awkward. And that's light compared to what some folks seem to be able to carry. For me, anything heavier just pulls on my clothes and such to the extent that it looks and/or feels terrible. I can't deal with it all day long. I don't know how people do it. Also, I have to wear a tucked in shirt and slacks or jeans at my job. No jacket all day which would cause me to roast anyway. So I don't seem to have any option except pocket carry or ankle carry. And... Ankle carry is very annoying to me even with a light gun.

Am I just being a weenie or do most people have the same problem. At least I do carry the LCP pretty much full time so I figure at least I am armed and not leaving my gun behind due to these issues. Although I'd rather be carrying 9mm instead of .380 with me if I could make it work for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

It probably isn't the gun ... More likely your holster. A crossbreed style holster is extremely comfortable compared to a holster with one belt clip.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

There are holsters that are designed to be worn with tucked in shirts.

Bellybands for one.
http://bellybandccw.com/

Pro carry Shirt tuck for another.

http://www.theholsterstore.net/product-info.php?Pro_Carry_Shirt_Tuck-pid5031.html

Back when concealed carry was first becoming popular it was all about gun weight, and size as far as comfortable carry went. But now there are so many options that it is more about the quality of the holster and manner of dress. Couple that with the small lightweight pistols and you can carry comfortably without anyone being the wiser.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

CC'n styles are like anything new.You just have to do it and with time it becomes natural.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

The first thing you need is a good belt, preferably designed for use with firearms. Next you need a good holster. Together they make any carry much easier whether it's OWB or IWB.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4845 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbolddm View Post
Although I'd rather be carrying 9mm instead of .380 with me if I could make it work for me.
Have you considered/checked out the Sig P938 in 9mm.
It's weight comes in at 1 lb.

NSDQ

Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Liked 2546 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

You're going to have to get away from WalMart to carry heavy.

Good holsters aren't cheap, and won't be found at discount stores.

You'll probably wind up like the rest of us, with a box of

tried and discarded holsters.

I'm on the larger end of big, at 6'2", so it doesn't affect me as much.

being primarily a range shooter, I don't deal well with smaller

and CC pistols. If you're primarily a CC person, and don't actually use

your pistol at the range much, a world of opportunities opens up.

That said, I prefer a cross-draw for CC. And it conceals a full-size

pistol well.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've bought Galco holsters and I have a 5.11 belt I bought at my local gun range. They work well but don't really conceal at all. I'd have to go in the waistband since pocket and ankle can only hold just so much weight.

I've thought that ankle carry would work so much better if the calf strap was on both sides of your leg instead if just one side. Then the gun wouldn't pull so much on the one side. I don't know why they don't seem to make them that way.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also I do a lot of concealed carry and range time. I have guns for both. I am up to 12 guns now in just 1.5 years. Prior I had none. Kind of became addicted I guess.

I had a P238 but it was the HD model and weighed more. I traded it for a Colt 1911 in 9mm. I've considered the P938 but have had to slow down my purchasing for a while. The bank account was getting wore out. Lol

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I could conceal carry my Springfield EMP 9mm but its not light... to me anyway. I can't imagine it inside my pants and waistband all day. Definitely not on my ankle either. Oh well...