Concealed Carry?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Concealed Carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealed Carry?

Hello, I'm new to the forums but I have a question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a handgun for concealed carry and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for which gun to get. I'm not sure what caliber is the best though for a smaller framed gun. A .45 ACP seems like it would kick like crazy but what do I know? Thanks for any suggestions!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey Evo, and welcome. Saying which caliber is the "best" is pretty much a matter of opinion and personal choice. There are those who would argue that you should shoot the heaviest stuff you can handle. Other's, like me, will tell you that with today's guns and today's high tech ammo, smaller calibers can be just as good. Personally, and just my opinion, I think that the 380 is a little too light, hi tech or not. 9mm is my carry gun of choice. Of course there is no arguing that .40's and .45's have more knock down power. At a price. They are generally heavier, and as you mention, tend to kick a bit harder. And while it's also true, that when your life is on the line, the recoil isn't going to matter, I've found that if people aren't comfortable shooting a certain caliber they will be more likely to develop poor shooting habits and less likely to hit what they are aiming at. Also, practice makes perfect, and if you aren't comfortable shooting your gun, you won't want to practice with it like you should.

Just giving you the benefit of my experience. Rather than advise you to look at any given gun or caliber, I'd strongly advise you to seek out a range which rents guns, if there is one near you. Everyone is different, and so are guns. So if you have the option, try out a few and see what works best for you.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Two of my favorite carry 45ACP. Colt new agent 7+1 and springfield armory XDm 9+1 compact. i like the XDm better but the new agent is a scootch slimmer for iwb carry.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Welcome. If you can, I would find a range that rents guns and go test drive a few. Also remember you will need to dress around your gun. Just a couple of things to think about.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #5

Thanks. Does anyone have experience with the Springfield EMP I think it's a cool looking gun but I have no idea how it shoots.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #6

Evo1911

Welcome to the forum.
Some of the smallest 45 caliber handguns are the Kahr PM, P and CW 45's.
The Kahr line has great D/A only triggers and are very reliable once broken in.
These guns are a bit pricey, but they have a good reputation.

I carry 9mm firearms with 125 grain +P ammo. (Ruger SR9C, Kahr P9, CZ 2075 Rami or Springfield Armory EMP). I've checked several ammunition web sights and according to their results, they pack as much punch as a standard pressure .45. The 9mm ammo is readily available and at better prices than the .45. The .45 versus 9mm debate will be around forever, so please no nasty comments. I just use what works for me.

Regardless of what you decide, Always carry the firearm that you are the most accurate with and can conceal with the greatest of ease.

Be well.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #7

Evo1911,

I have the EMP in 9mm. Aside from being a little finicky on the Winchester white box ammo, I have no complaints. The gun has a fantastic feel, great trigger, night sites, and a 9 plus 1 capacity. Recoil is very manageable. The $1000.00 price tag would be the only drawback. However, I feel it was money very well spent, IMO.

Stay safe.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2335 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 842

One of the first things you have to decide is how you want to carry. Do you plan on carrying on your waist, in a shoulder holster, in your pants pocket, on your ankle? Each type of carry has differing requirements such as clothing and differing capabilities.

If you carry in your waist or under the shoulder will require some kind of cover garment, but you could carry a fairly large weapon.

Carrying in your pocket requires no change to wardrobe, but you're restricted in the size of firearms you carry.

Myself, I carry a S&W Bodyguard 380 in my pocket. It is very concealable and very easy to carry.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
One of the first things you have to decide is how you want to carry. Do you plan on carrying on your waist, in a shoulder holster, in your pants pocket, on your ankle? Each type of carry has differing requirements such as clothing and differing capabilities.

If you carry in your waist or under the shoulder will require some kind of cover garment, but you could carry a fairly large weapon.

Carrying in your pocket requires no change to wardrobe, but you're restricted in the size of firearms you carry.

Myself, I carry a S&W Bodyguard 380 in my pocket. It is very concealable and very easy to carry.
Both my wife and I carry the S&W bodyguard .380, I use a crossbreed mini tuck iwb holster, very comfy. I used to carry around bigger guns, but after a while you just get tired of rearranging your liife to accommodate a 2lb gun.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

ScottA
Don't know why my comment is attached to yours, was not intended.