Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Concealable Sub-Compact 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealable Sub-Compact 9mm

I thought I was going to get a Kel-Tec PF9 going into the CPL class I took yesterday. After taking the class and talking to a few people I decided to get a sub-compact 9mm. I am thinking of a Springfield XD Sub-Compact, Beretta Nano, or Smith & Wesson Shield. I want to stay as close to $450 and want maximum concealibility and reliabilty out of the gun.

The Glock 26 is out of my price range, do not want a Kahr (religious affiliation issues) and didn't really care for the Ruger LC9. Are there others I am missing? Does anyone have opinions on the ones mentioned?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shot my sons mp sheild in 9 mm. It's a great gun I've been looking for one for myself for weeks but the supply is so heavy there isn't one to be found around here. ( Indiana) but its a great conceal carry weapon shoots great and very reliable in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpacker View Post
Shot my sons mp sheild in 9 mm. It's a great gun I've been looking for one for myself for weeks but the supply is so heavy there isn't one to be found around here. ( Indiana) but its a great conceal carry weapon shoots great and very reliable in my opinion.
The supply and the fact that all the issues with the Shield may not have been ironed out concern me.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I am looking for either a PF 9 or the CM 9 by Kahr prefer the latter for better trigger but I believe both to be very reliable. Break in to be needed on the PF 9 for sure. I have carried both a Glock 26 and a sub XD 9, both are blocky. I just opted to carry the G23 in a .40 instead, not that big a difference in size and I shoot it extremely well. The 2 mentioned in the beginning of the post are to supplement by carrying both one in ankle holster or when the heat in SA is bad I can just carry say the CM 9.

Remember the best gun is going to be the one you carry all the time, not the one you leave at home because of size, weight or conceal ability.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah4

The supply and the fact that all the issues with the Shield may not have been ironed out concern me.
Yes sir I agree with the supply problem. But there doesn't seem to be any issues with the 9 mm. The .40 sheild has had some magazine drop problems and FTF I think tho

Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23shooter View Post
I am looking for either a PF 9 or the CM 9 by Kahr prefer the latter for better trigger but I believe both to be very reliable. Break in to be needed on the PF 9 for sure. I have carried both a Glock 26 and a sub XD 9, both are blocky. I just opted to carry the G23 in a .40 instead, not that big a difference in size and I shoot it extremely well. The 2 mentioned in the beginning of the post are to supplement by carrying both one in ankle holster or when the heat in SA is bad I can just carry say the CM 9.

Remember the best gun is going to be the one you carry all the time, not the one you leave at home because of size, weight or conceal ability.
I have a NIB CM9 in the classifieds if your interested or PM me for details/pics.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a PF9, a Shield and a G27. I've shot most of the competitors (LC9, various Kahrs, Nano, etc) as well as the double stacked subcomps from Glock and Springfield. I carry the Shield daily and it's what I would endorse above all similarly priced guns.

For under $500, I like:

1) S&W M&P Shield
2) Ruger LC9
3) Kahr CM9

...in that order. But I prefer single-stacked and tiny, and not everyone shares that preference. The Shield just shoots and handles like a larger gun, despite it's carry-friendly size.

My PF9 works fine (zero failures in fact), but it's just no fun to shoot. I haven't come across a gun similar in size that's as easy to shoot well as the Shield, and that's extremely important in my book.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

Liked 212 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 15

After cc'n a pf-9 for 2 1/2years it does fit a SUB-Compact need unlike some others that are a compacts today. I don't worthy about religious bs and CC ether a cm9 or cw9. Simple great pistols.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I have a PF9, a Shield and a G27. I've shot most of the competitors (LC9, various Kahrs, Nano, etc) as well as the double stacked subcomps from Glock and Springfield. I carry the Shield daily and it's what I would endorse above all similarly priced guns.

For under $500, I like:

1) S&W M&P Shield
2) Ruger LC9
3) Kahr CM9

...in that order. But I prefer single-stacked and tiny, and not everyone shares that preference. The Shield just shoots and handles like a larger gun, despite it's carry-friendly size.

My PF9 works fine (zero failures in fact), but it's just no fun to shoot. I haven't come across a gun similar in size that's as easy to shoot well as the Shield, and that's extremely important in my book.
Have you pocket-carried any or all of those, and how do they compare?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I do like the Shield but I would opt for the Nano personally. I am a bit biased towards Beretta, but with that said, the Nano was designed for concealment and quick draws. It can be customized with things like different grips or sights to suit your needs (which is helpful considering the standard sights, or lack there of, on various smaller sub compacts). I think it only holds 6+1 so count that as a point against it but other than that I'd say it's a great all around EDC.

Have you shot all the pieces you mentioned? That will be the biggest deciding factors of whether you like one versus another.