Conceal carry .45 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Conceal carry .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have a Para Ordnance Warthog (3"barrel, 6.5"OAL), that I've never had any trouble with FTF nor FTE, but it is one pain in the neck to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning. The recoil spring is extremely strong.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #42
BZ3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have an XDS I carry in a crossbreed mini tuck and I love it. I always carry an extra mag so 11rds of .45+p should take care of any situation hopefully. I plan on using the 7 round extended mag when I can find one for a decent price as my back up mag for a totally of 13rds.

image-2430058159.jpg

Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 962 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Not the zombie threads I worry about, but the Prozac nut jobs on the streets with short triggers and evil intentions. If one encounters one of those, having a single stack mag seems pretty thin. Used to carry a G21, switched to a G20 for the extra ammo. Run extensions and carry extra mags always.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #44

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

I just carry a commander sized 1911,printing is not an issue. in my state and I still manage to carry it whenever I'm not going to,am at,or coming back from work,and I still got the sp101 riding in the truck then as well.

It's a not a little gun at all but as somebody here put it

"Concealed carry isn't supposed to be comfortable,its suppose to be comforting."

Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #45

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am cc'ing the Taurus PT145 and, sometimes, the Taurus 24/7 G2C .45.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX45 View Post
I am cc'ing the Taurus PT145 and, sometimes, the Taurus 24/7 G2C .45.
I also have a Taurus PT145. I like it - it fits well in my hand, shoots straight, feeds, extracts, and ejects well, and is easy to disassemble and reassemble when time to clean it. It is my primary handgun for when I'm home in bed. I don't carry it much because it is a little bulky, and harder to keep concealed than my Para Warthog. But it is great for in the house at night, because it is only 6.1" OAL, and not much of the gun sticks out forward of the trigger guard. That would help me retain the gun if a BG tries to grab it away from me. Capacity is politically correct 10+1, and .45 ACP is a pretty good defensive caliber.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Not the zombie threads I worry about, but the Prozac nut jobs on the streets with short triggers and evil intentions. If one encounters one of those, having a single stack mag seems pretty thin. Used to carry a G21, switched to a G20 for the extra ammo. Run extensions and carry extra mags always.
With all due respect - and I mean that - have you ever been in a gunfight? I have been in a number of them, and the carrying of all that extra ammo seems over cautious unless you are planning on playing the Lone Ranger against a gang. Every gunfight I have been in, except in Viet Nam, is over very quickly unless both sides can't hit what they are shooting at, which in a gunfight does happen - including to LEOs. The other factor is the caliber of course, but this thread is about .45 ACP, so I am not considering that outside of the capabilities of that caliber.

I have been shot twice with .38 specials out of short barreled handguns, and was able to return fire despite torso hits. In both incidents I was using a .45 ACP out of a Colt Commander. In one incident, the perp was down with one shot, and in the other, two - mostly because the first hit was to his knee to get him out of cover and the second to his head as he stood up. The point to this is, I'm not sure I could have even loaded a second clip in either incident because of the hits I took. In short range handgun fights, the probability that both people will be hit is high if all parties are well trained and capable.

With all of that said, I have also been in a gunfight where three LEOs and I were up against 4 armed robbers, and the robbers missed every shot, and two of the LEOs missed every shot. The other LEO missed all but one of his shots, but he did get one of them. In fairness, none of them had ever been in a firefight and two of them were using backup guns because they did not have their primary weapons with them. They also did not have extra ammo. I did have my primary weapon, I had been in other firefights, and I took three of them. There are always variables. That I had advantages needs to be considered, but so should their disadvantages. The lesson they took away was to alway carry a gun they knew how to shoot well and to engage in realistic combat practice.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yep. Spray-n-pray with 21 shots is NOT superior to making one or two carefully aimed shots. The main thing is to avoid panic, and shoot the bg, not the bystanders.