Competitive semi-auto suggestions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Competitive semi-auto suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Competitive semi-auto suggestions.

I was bitten by the gun bug a long time ago, and aside from home defense I wanted to get into competitive shooting/combat competition shooting. I saw the forum on this site, but I wanted suggestions of what everyone else on here has to say about gun choice/caliber/model etc... My most accurate handgun I own is my .45ACP EAA witness match elite (sorry no picture yet I will upload after work), it's big heavy and all stainless steel. Holds 10+1 and the clips for this thing are rare; about the beretta 92FS price of $50.00 each, so not really cheap. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Trying not to sound biased - 1911a1 - the ONLY handgund that will meet your needs!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #3

I'd eventually like to get a 1911 I love the style of them, but my main problem with 1911's is they are pricey, well for the one's I have seen in town even used one's at gunshow's are pricey. Some I see are in the $1000+ or even $2,000+ range.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
I'd eventually like to get a 1911 I love the style of them, but my main problem with 1911's is they are pricey, well for the one's I have seen in town even used one's at gunshow's are pricey. Some I see are in the $1000+ or even $2,000+ range.
You can get a Rock Island for around 400. No frills, but a decent gun to build from.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The 1911s I currently own run from a $400 no-name to a $1500 (used) semi-custom. To be totally honest - I shoot the cheap gun about as well as I shoot the expensive one. I've owned well over 2 dozen different 1911s in the past 5 years (I trade guns a lot) and I can tell you that you can get a good one for under $500. Nothing at all wrong with the Rock Islands - just use quality magazines (not clips) in any of them.

What kind of competitions do you want to shoot?

Last edited by NGIB; 07-28-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

I don't know all the different types of competitions, but mainly combat competitive for quicker aiming, faster target recognition, as long as it is not a rim-fire competition. I have looked at a Rock Island previously, I own two .45's right now and I have to say it's a tie between 9mm and .45's for my favorite they are both really comfortable to fire. I'm leaning more towards a 1911 or 1911A1 trying to find what is best what is most comfortable, after all practice is the main thing with a pistol.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Take a look at what is used by top competitors. Most use the 1911a1 in some form or another. For serious competition, check out the Springfield loaded in 9mm (if power factor is a non-issue), otherwise, go for the .45ACP.
Nothing against the RIA, but consider that you want as much as an advantage as possible. The SA loaded already has most of the work done that would be needed on the RIA for it to be a serious contender.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The type of competition really drives which pistol platform would be ideal. For example, I shoot a lot of bowling pin matches where accuracy and "hitting" power is crucial - so I use a 1911 in .45 ACP. If you're considering IDPA type shoots, the type of gun commonly used in my area focuses more on higher capacity and light recoil so 9mm is very popular. If you're thinking IPSC, the criteria could change again as lots of folks use full blown race guns.

Decide what competitions interest you and that will help determine a proper gun selection. Or, just buy a few of each and you're set...

Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

While you can shoot your 1911 in the "race gun" divisions (open class and limited) if you so choose, there is no reason to fear being put against the race guns.
USPSA (ipsc in the usa) has a separate division for the 1911 called "single stack" You are limited to using 1911 style pistols with single column magazines and very few modifications permitted.
If you shoot major power factor (45acp, 10mm and full power 40) you are limited to 8rds per mag.
If you shoot minor PF (9mm,38 super, 40) you can use up to 10rd mags, but the trade off is hits outside of the A-zone score lower than if you were shooting major PF

I shoot major with a Kimber 1911 in 45auto
A buddy recently switched to a 1911 and bought a Rock Island in 9mm and shoots minor and has been doing very well. No problems with the RI through about 700rds.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #10

Now I'm interested in the RI type 1911. I have shot many guns that clone the 1911 but few that have the dead-shot accuracy that most people claim 1911's do. I will get one probably around January or earlier if the price for an RI is still sub $600. Is there a link to these competition rules? I am not that great of a shot yet with the other .45's I have fired. But I do want to try another brand besides Springfield to see if it's my fire method or some other way the grips/grip safety feels and getting a comfortable fit for it.