Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > competition shooting bersa thunder 9 hc pro OR stoeger cougar 8000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Chad, Check this link:

Stock service pistols: the most popular IDPA division.(HANDGUNS) - Guns Magazine | HighBeam Research - FREE Article

David used Beretta's.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, "making" a race gun is a step that is for BIG pocket books. If you see guys winning mad competitions, even with what appears to be a "normal" looking weapon, you might be surprised.

Unless that weapon has been checked, mic'd and tested for things like spring strength and firing pin weight, it "might" just have had someone tinkering with it.

Do you have it on good authority that this guy uses a bone stock Cougar? Or did you hear it from someone?

The reason I ask is this:

We have a customer of the shop who is a serious 600 yard benchrest guy. He travels to matches all over the place and he places in a lot of them that he doesn't outright win.

A barrel company has agreed to pay him a "competition fee" for using their barrel on his gun, which he does. But before this "agreement" was reached, he used another type of barrel altogether.

Just food for thought.

hmmmmmmmm? yes i will have to look into certain parts but as of right now i am just going to do a trigger job and a little smithing just to make it run a little smoother

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, so you are going in a modified division?

Tell me, if you can, what the pistol you have in your mind's eye, will be when you first start out.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

thanx dan sounds good

Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #25

Quote:

Tell me, if you can, what the pistol you have in your mind's eye, will be when you first start out.
stoeger cougar 8000 9mm

Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #26

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2 View Post
look i got a little carried away i am sorry for that. i do have a question what do you think of the taurus?

i also like the taurus 809 way better then the stoeger or the bersa but i have heard a lot of bad things about them, like they are very hit and miss also a lot of people say that the 24/7 oss is good for comp but that gun has a comp barrel the 809 does not is the accuracy still good???? also what about replacement parts?

what do you think?
This is a very mature response, Chad. Thanks.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #27

Quote:

if i had more money it would be the cz 75 sp01

or the xdm 9mm 4.5in barrel

or the sig p226 5in if i was loaded lol

Last edited by chad2; 09-30-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #28

Okay. From a put it together point of view, here is what I see. Keep in mind, I BARELY qualify for Appentice Gunsmith and I am NO WHERE NEAR anything even close to an expert.

You have a steel slide and an anodized aluminum frame. Shooting competition, which is A TON of rounds for practice and competition is going to lead to wear and tear on the surfaces that mate between the two.

Steel is harder than aluminum, so the wear is going to be on the frame. For the first 5000 rounds, it's probably not going to be an issue. When you hit 10K or 12K - it's going to be really noticable.

Now you don't have a competition, or tight bore, barrel - which doesn't mean anything of no one else is shooting one either. Plus, at the distances, it probably would not make a hell of a lot of difference to a beginning shooter. Down the line, you might be curious though if it will help, so bear that in mind.

The trigger on Beretta's pistols, and this is pretty much that, are long & have a ton of take up. On the model 92/96, it is a "P" shaped pin with a different spring that costs around $55 bucks and can be put in by anyone with level 01 mechanical apptitude.

I don't know about the Cougar specifically, but I suspect the same is true. When I had a model 92, I made the switch and it really tightened up my groups, but it was my first pistol and I had been shooting it for a few years before I made the change.

The weapon is going to be top heavy, with roll from side to side because of the weight. This can be overcome with practice, but it is something to take into account.

The grip on double stacks is also quite wide, because of the staggered box mag, so you should probably handle it, rent it if you can, to make sure you can properly address the weapon and not have to tilt and twist it to make it work.

The big question: Will it work for what you want it to do?

Yes, as long as you know going in that this weapon is going to be a stepping stone if you stay with this type of shooting. I don't know ANYONE that shoots, or has shot, IDPA and doesn't end up getting a weapon all "Raced Out" out of the need to "fit in".

If you know, and accept, all that going in. Well, there is no reason this pistol won't work for you.

Have you shot the weapon yet?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Okay. From a put it together point of view, here is what I see. Keep in mind, I BARELY qualify for Appentice Gunsmith and I am NO WHERE NEAR anything even close to an expert.

You have a steel slide and an anodized aluminum frame. Shooting competition, which is A TON of rounds for practice and competition is going to lead to wear and tear on the surfaces that mate between the two.

Steel is harder than aluminum, so the wear is going to be on the frame. For the first 5000 rounds, it's probably not going to be an issue. When you hit 10K or 12K - it's going to be really noticable.

Now you don't have a competition, or tight bore, barrel - which doesn't mean anything of no one else is shooting one either. Plus, at the distances, it probably would not make a hell of a lot of difference to a beginning shooter. Down the line, you might be curious though if it will help, so bear that in mind.

The trigger on Beretta's pistols, and this is pretty much that, are long & have a ton of take up. On the model 92/96, it is a "P" shaped pin with a different spring that costs around $55 bucks and can be put in by anyone with level 01 mechanical apptitude.

I don't know about the Cougar specifically, but I suspect the same is true. When I had a model 92, I made the switch and it really tightened up my groups, but it was my first pistol and I had been shooting it for a few years before I made the change.

The weapon is going to be top heavy, with roll from side to side because of the weight. This can be overcome with practice, but it is something to take into account.

The grip on double stacks is also quite wide, because of the staggered box mag, so you should probably handle it, rent it if you can, to make sure you can properly address the weapon and not have to tilt and twist it to make it work.

The big question: Will it work for what you want it to do?

Yes, as long as you know going in that this weapon is going to be a stepping stone if you stay with this type of shooting. I don't know ANYONE that shoots, or has shot, IDPA and doesn't end up getting a weapon all "Raced Out" out of the need to "fit in".

If you know, and accept, all that going in. Well, there is no reason this pistol won't work for you.

Have you shot the weapon yet?
deffinantly a lot to think about lol and i thought i had everything worked out lol. keep the advice comin

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #30

You got my $0.02 right there brother. Until you answer some of the questions that occurred to you reading that post, I can't be of much more help.

That said, there are some true gunsmiths and competition shooters around here - perhaps they have some much different advice for you.

Guys?!

JD