competition shooting bersa thunder 9 hc pro OR stoeger cougar 8000 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > competition shooting bersa thunder 9 hc pro OR stoeger cougar 8000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

To get a gun that could stand up to competition shooting, you're going to have to look past Bersa, Stoeger, and Taurus. It's a fact that the quality control at Taurus is among the worst there is and getting a reliable gun is a total crapshoot. With guns, along with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you don't like my answer, I could really care less as folks have tried to help you and you choose not to listen...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
To get a gun that could stand up to competition shooting, you're going to have to look past Bersa, Stoeger, and Taurus. It's a fact that the quality control at Taurus is among the worst there is and getting a reliable gun is a total crapshoot. With guns, along with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you don't like my answer, I could really care less as folks have tried to help you and you choose not to listen...
holy crap lol i was not trying to put anyone down i am sorry i am listening to everyones answers. i am sorry everyone i was not trying to affend anyone.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Chad, There is a lot of experience here. No one will "flame" you if you ask first and heed our advice. We all have our preferences.

Didn't you have some deal made on a Taurus, and then tried to get something else? We could have helped you make an informed decision beforehand.

I am for the idea that you should get the best you can afford. On your choices, you should decide which will serve you best. Find out if someone in your area who can fix the Bersa or Cougar if it should break. Competition is tough on handguns. If you are serious, the way to practice is to try and wear the gun out. I have an old Springfield that I used, abused, rebuilt numerous times. When I was young and poorer, that was I had, but it worked for me. Over 7 years of shooting every weekend in some competition or another (plus practice).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Chad, There is a lot of experience here. No one will "flame" you if you ask first and heed our advice. We all have our preferences.

Didn't you have some deal made on a Taurus, and then tried to get something else? We could have helped you make an informed decision beforehand.

I am for the idea that you should get the best you can afford. On your choices, you should decide which will serve you best. Find out if someone in your area who can fix the Bersa or Cougar if it should break. Competition is tough on handguns. If you are serious, the way to practice is to try and wear the gun out. I have an old Springfield that I used, abused, rebuilt numerous times. When I was young and poorer, that was I had, but it worked for me. Over 7 years of shooting every weekend in some competition or another (plus practice).
wow that is a lot of shoothing and a lot of times to rebuild a gun i will probably be shooting about every other weekend.

the thing that really pushed me away from the taurus is the reliablilty. also the fact that the shop i was getting it from was selling it for 619 $ and i saw it online for 399. 220 $ less then the shop and that very same shop does ffl transfers for 110 dollars. so i am going to stay away from them lol

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Chad, there was a report of this thread, so I stopped by to see what was up. Looks like tensions have been eased and everyone is playing nice, so I am not worried as Dan is knowledgable and is steering you right.

However, I have to know, because I am curious: What kind of "Competition Shooting" are we talking about?

I work in a gun shop part time, well to be honest I hang out there and listen a lot which allows me a chance to play with a lot of weapons.

But when pistol competition comes up, people are almost always talking about "Race Guns" which is a level of pistol FAR BEYOND what an average production pistol comes equipped with.

Can you shed a little more light for me here?

JD

Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Chad, there was a report of this thread, so I stopped by to see what was up. Looks like tensions have been eased and everyone is playing nice, so I am not worried as Dan is knowledgable and is steering you right.

However, I have to know, because I am curious: What kind of "Competition Shooting" are we talking about?

I work in a gun shop part time, well to be honest I hang out there and listen a lot which allows me a chance to play with a lot of weapons.

But when pistol competition comes up, people are almost always talking about "Race Guns" which is a level of pistol FAR BEYOND what an average production pistol comes equipped with.

Can you shed a little more light for me here?

JD
well i just heard that 5 time winner of IDPA david olhasso uses a stoeger cougar

and that is what i would like to get into i dont know much about the other comps out there. IDPA seems to fit my wants the most

i have also heard that he has made his cougar into a pretty good race gun.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Exactly what competitions do you want to shoot?

If you're talking about IDPA, folks generally use their primary carry gun so either of these would be fine.
Like I said in a previous post - I answered this on page 1 of the thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Like I said in a previous post - I answered this on page 1 of the thread
Mea Culpa! Easy bro, I was trying to help, not step on any toes.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Mea Culpa! Easy bro, I was trying to help, not step on any toes.
No worries JD, I was just showing the OP that his question had been answered and for some reason the answer was ignored...

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2 View Post
well i just heard that 5 time winner of IDPA david olhasso uses a stoeger cougar

and that is what i would like to get into i dont know much about the other comps out there. IDPA seems to fit my wants the most

i have also heard that he has made his cougar into a pretty good race gun.
Well, "making" a race gun is a step that is for BIG pocket books. If you see guys winning mad competitions, even with what appears to be a "normal" looking weapon, you might be surprised.

Unless that weapon has been checked, mic'd and tested for things like spring strength and firing pin weight, it "might" just have had someone tinkering with it.

Do you have it on good authority that this guy uses a bone stock Cougar? Or did you hear it from someone?

The reason I ask is this:

We have a customer of the shop who is a serious 600 yard benchrest guy. He travels to matches all over the place and he places in a lot of them that he doesn't outright win.

A barrel company has agreed to pay him a "competition fee" for using their barrel on his gun, which he does. But before this "agreement" was reached, he used another type of barrel altogether.

Just food for thought.