Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > competition shooting bersa thunder 9 hc pro OR stoeger cougar 8000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default competition shooting bersa thunder 9 hc pro OR stoeger cougar 8000

bersa vs. stoeger! i have heard so many people say that the stoeger cougar is extremely accurate! so why dosn't anyone use it in competitions? i mean what about the stoeger cougar makes it not good for competition?

then, there is the bersa thunder 9 hc pro, which i used bye a whole team that only shoots bersa. so i guess my question is, what makes the bersa better then the stoeger, is the bersa more accurate? is it because the bersa has a 4.2in barrel and the stoeger only has a 3.6in barrel? is it because bersa holds 17 rounds and the stoeger only holds 15? is it because of there triggers?

if so what about these guns makes the bersa better fot competition then the stoeger???????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

How many times are you going to ask the same question in different threads? You have the same thing in general handgun area.

What, you didn't like the answers there?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Exactly what competitions do you want to shoot?

If you're talking about IDPA, folks generally use their primary carry gun so either of these would be fine. Folks that shoot a lot tend to pick platforms that can withstand thousands of rounds a year, have parts that are readily available (and cheap), and have proven themselves to be worthy. I have nothing against either gun you're considering but they are not something folks consider when selecting a competition gun...

Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
How many times are you going to ask the same question in different threads? You have the same thing in general handgun area.

What, you didn't like the answers there?
i am just getting everyones opinion and your answer is not an answer you gave an uneducated answer you have no excperience with these guns so how can you even say anything i am looking for people who have used these guns so thank you!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2 View Post
i am just getting everyones opinion and your answer is not an answer you gave an uneducated answer you have no excperience with these guns so how can you even say anything i am looking for people who have used these guns so thank you!
Ok dude. Insulting a Supporting Member isn't going to get you very far on this forum.

Bottom line is that both of the guns you keep harping on are cheap, entry level guns that wouldn't be anybody's first choice for competitions. And before you generate another snide reply, I have shot both of these guns and saw nothing special about either one...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Exactly what competitions do you want to shoot?

If you're talking about IDPA, folks generally use their primary carry gun so either of these would be fine. Folks that shoot a lot tend to pick platforms that can withstand thousands of rounds a year, have parts that are readily available (and cheap), and have proven themselves to be worthy. I have nothing against either gun you're considering but they are not something folks consider when selecting a competition gun...
so your saying for the simple fact that these guns dont have a huge aftermarket is the reason they are not used so much in comp

you are also saying reliability is an issue. did you know that stoeger cougar holds the nato world record of 30,000 rounds through it with no failures. meaning no other gun has bet it!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2 View Post
Slow down, Chad. Dan knows what he is talking about and is well liked and respected around here. He was questioning how many threads you would post the same question in, nothing more.

Both of the guns you mention have a strong following. Perhaps you should ask who around here owns the specific models you are interested in, and then ask those guys if they use them in competition. Maybe?

I know a guy who shot a Browning Hi Power in competition. Problem was they all wore out after 11,000-14,000 rounds, so he went through 3 or 4 a year. And the BHP is one of the finest, most respected designs on the planet.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Ok dude. Insulting a Supporting Member isn't going to get you very far on this forum.

Bottom line is that both of the guns you keep harping on are cheap, entry level guns that wouldn't be anybody's first choice for competitions. And before you generate another snide reply, I have shot both of these guns and saw nothing special about either one...
not insulting. voicing my opinion about his respones, i was told when i got on here that you need tough skin on this forum. well here goes.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

Think about my answer in the other thread. A competition handgun receives more usage in a year than most people will put on one in a lifetime. The reason the Bersa or Cougar are not in the competition circles is because they will not hold up to such use.

You would have been better off with the Taurus.

My experience level includes IPSC matches in Europe, USPSA matches in the states, numerous trips to the range as a Certified Firearm instructor, and a part-time gunsmith. Get to my level of expertise, and I will have a conversation about guns with you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Think about my answer in the other thread. A competition handgun receives more usage in a year than most people will put on one in a lifetime. The reason the Bersa or Cougar are not in the competition circles is because they will not hold up to such use.

You would have been better off with the Taurus.

My experience level includes IPSC matches in Europe, USPSA matches in the states, numerous trips to the range as a Certified Firearm instructor, and a part-time gunsmith. Get to my level of expertise, and I will have a conversation about guns with you.
look i got a little carried away i am sorry for that. i do have a question what do you think of the taurus?

i also like the taurus 809 way better then the stoeger or the bersa but i have heard a lot of bad things about them, like they are very hit and miss also a lot of people say that the 24/7 oss is good for comp but that gun has a comp barrel the 809 does not is the accuracy still good???? also what about replacement parts?

what do you think?