Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Competition shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Competition shooting

K guys, I am going to be 19 years old this September, and I want to start competitive pistol shooting, but I don't know if I have to be 21 years old or not in order to compete. I choose 21 obviously because that is the legal age to purchase a handgun (please correct me if I am wrong). Also, do I need to get any licenses or permits in order to buy a pistol? I live in orange county in southern California. Any and all responses will be much appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtchaulk
K guys, I am going to be 19 years old this September, and I want to start competitive pistol shooting, but I don't know if I have to be 21 years old or not in order to compete. I choose 21 obviously because that is the legal age to purchase a handgun (please correct me if I am wrong). Also, do I need to get any licenses or permits in order to buy a pistol? I live in orange county in southern California. Any and all responses will be much appreciated!
Current world steel champion Kc Escubio won his first steel championship well below 21. I believe his father bought him his first pistol.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

To the best of my knowledge a parent can buy someone under 21 a pistol but since you live in Liberal California I would say this is a question to ask your local State Attorney. I would hate to see you do something that could cause you to loose future gun rights when you are so close.

My 19 year old daughter comes shooting with me all the time but we are in Florida which is a very gun friendly state.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Thank you both