Comparing a Glock and an M&P - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Comparing a Glock and an M&P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The grip makes a big difference to me. I hate shooting a G17 and the G34 is even worse. The G19 & G23 are the Glocks that fit me. I have an XD tactical that is about the same thing as a G34. I love the XD but it is not a gun that I will conceal everyday.

What is funny is the bigger a revolver is the more I like it and I will work much harder to conceal it.
Perfect illustration of how feel becomes very important in deciding what gun fits. No one else can say what will feel "right" for someone else. In the case if a 34,17, or 19 model Glock the angle and basic shape of the grip are the same, except for how far down the rear hump extends. In the 34 and 17 they are the same, and in the 19 it is shorter. The leverage from the longer slide may make a perceivable difference in feel as well.

But, I can't say what will feel right to you.

In revolvers I like a 4-6" barrel best. I find a 8" too long and a 2" too short.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #12

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
... The (M&P) slide contours and serrations look nicer than the plain block look of the Glock and are better for griping and cycling the slide...
This definitely is an advantage for the M&P. While the Glock was my choice and I still believe it is the better design, the slide serrations of the M&P make it easier to rack the slide with sweaty hands. I have a Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 4 and the Gen 3 has a very slick finish so I can lose my grip when racking the slide. The aggressive serrations of the M&P are superior. This could make a difference in a life or death situation.

Glock tested the "fish scale" serrations that probably improved the situation (even with the slick finish) but discontinued them. I think the serrations should have been improved in the Gen 4 upgrades.

Excellent comparison & review, Doc!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #13

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Default Comparing a Glock and an M&P

Quote:
Grip angle may not be a big issue, but overall grip shape and feel is very subjective, and many people do not find the Glock grip to be comfortable. The 4th gen addresses that somewhat.

S&W just lead the way. The big evolutionary changes that they brought in the M&P were the comfortable grip, the interchangeable back straps, ambidextrous slide catch, reversible mag release, metal stock sights and recoil spring guide rod.

I have both glock and m&p and prefer the m&p even though it is definitely glock inspired. S&W listened to all the glock complaints and made a glock minus the complaints. However what s&w did with the interchangeable back straps was not evolutionary as walther had already did this in the mid to late 90's with the p99 and hk did this as well with the p2000 in 2001, as the m&p was introduce in 2005. My personal experience tell me the only place the m&p falls short of the glock is the stock trigger. While neither is great, the m&p's trigger just sucks IMHO. A firearms instructor I know just told me that some students in his last class had some brand new m&p's and the trigger was substantially better than the previous m&p's he shot in the past. I haven't pulled the trigger on any brand new m&p's lately so I have no say there. Every company has their version of glock like pistol these days and all are making them with glock complaints in mind. Given the success of glock you can hardly blame them. I'm just waiting for HK to jump on the band wagon and make their modern poly striker fired pistol.

Never enough guns or ammo

Last edited by jjones45; 04-18-2014 at 05:52 AM.
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #14

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
I have both glock and m&p and prefer the m&p even though it is definitely glock inspired. S&W listened to all the glock complaints and made a glock minus the complaints. However what s&w did with the interchangeable back straps was not evolutionary as walther had already did this in the mid to late 90's with the p99 and hk did this as well with the p2000 in 2001, as the m&p was introduce in 2005. My personal experience tell me the only place the m&p falls short of the glock is the stock trigger. While neither is great, the m&p's trigger just sucks IMHO. A firearms instructor I know just told me that some students in his last class had some brand new m&p's and the trigger was substantially better than the previous m&p's he shot in the past. I haven't pulled the trigger on any brand new m&p's lately so I have no say there. Every company has their version of glock like pistol these days and all are making them with glock complaints in mind. Given the success of glock you can hardly blame them. I'm just waiting for HK to jump on the band wagon and make their modern poly striker fired pistol.

The evolutionary part of the M&P "back straps" is the fact that they are not "back straps", they are "palm swells". (as I like to call them)

Where most other polymer guns have changeable back straps that change the grip in one direction(straight back), the M&P's change the grip in three directions (left, right, and back). Just my 2cents
Old 04-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #15

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
The evolutionary part of the M&P "back straps" is the fact that they are not "back straps", they are "palm swells". (as I like to call them)

Where most other polymer guns have changeable back straps that change the grip in one direction(straight back), the M&P's change the grip in three directions (left, right, and back). Just my 2cents

I can go with that . The p30 just took that to a new level then I guess.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #16

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

Also, don't forget about the steel chassis that is unique to the M&P.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Grip angle may not be a big issue, but overall grip shape and feel is very subjective, and many people do not find the Glock grip to be comfortable. The 4th gen addresses that somewhat.

S&W just lead the way. The big evolutionary changes that they brought in the M&P were the comfortable grip, the interchangeable back straps, ambidextrous slide catch, reversible mag release, metal stock sights and recoil spring guide rod. The oval shaped slide rails allow for break-in to be less detrimental to accuracy and slide fit over time. The slide contours and serrations look nicer than the plain block look of the Glock and are better for griping and cycling the slide.

Again, the Gen 4 Glocks address some of these same improvements. Glock also has a good track record as a proven design and is still a solid choice. I'm not getting rid of my Glocks. It is nice to keep track of the evolution of the designs though. Kind of like the 1911 inspired other designs.
I've never had the opportunity to fire a Gen 4 Glock, but I do own a full size M&P .40. My honest opinion? Being able to change the grip size isn't that big a deal for me. I can barely tell the difference in my hand, and I can't tell the difference at all on the target.

I can imagine that it might make a difference to someone with smaller hands, but to me it's not that big a deal. With that said, if it was a single stack it would make a world of difference to me. It also makes a big difference whether or not my little finger is on or under the grip. With paced fire I have much tighter groups if my little finger is under the grip.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
While many may throw in their $0.02, Glock and M&P are, (arguably), the industry standard with respect to out-of-the-box dependability. Personal preference is usually the deciding factor. I've got three M&P's, but if they morphed into Glocks tonight it wouldn't upset me much. MOH? The grip angle business is a lot of banana oil.
No it is not. I have been shooting MANY glocks over the last 15+ years and I have to work at shooting them because of the grip angle. I can take a 5906/03 and shoot it MUCH better and when I started shooting the M&P I found it had a grip angle which was much easier to shoot than the MANY glocks I have be required to carry/shoot. To add to that I have had many other (LEO's) who are required to carry glocks shoot my new and old S&W's and all but one of them shoot the S&W's much better.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #19

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post

Point taken. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #20

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Anyone remember the Sony Walkman? You know... Played cassettes as you walked down the street. That's a Glock.

Fast forward to the M&P... and think I Pod.

Yeah... They both do the same thing but the later is MUCH MUCH better

Tack