Comparing .22's - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Comparing .22's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I have the 22/45. Great gun. You wont be sorry if you buy one. Just be sure to hold on to the owners manual. I rarely clean mine anyway. It never gives me trouble. I probably break it down every 1500 or 2000 rounds. All my other guns I clean after every trip to the range.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've had a bunch 22's over the years. I still have a 22/45 but I have changed the barrel/receiver to a tactical solutions bbl (I just got a really good deal on it). I personally think out of the box the Browning Buckmarks have the best triggers. They also point very well. I do thing the Rugers point a little better for me. I've not owned any of the S&W auto 22's but have shot several. I like them just fine I just never seen one when I was thinking about getting a 22.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have a Mark III 22/45 Target model. i can add my recommendation to the list as well. the Buckmark is an excellent pistol also, but little more expensive. the S & W M41 is a very nice pistol, if you can find for a reasonable price. the Colt's Woodsman, oooh, good luck. very accurate and high in price, but a really sweet pistol. of those i listed, the Ruger Mark III is your best bargain. accurate, well made, very reliable and decently priced.

the Ruger isn't really that hard to field strip, just the first few times on a new pistol, everything is new and tight. once you have done it a few times it does get easier. just follow the directions in the owners manual or go to YouTube and watch some of the videos.

after 2000+ rounds through mine, i still enjoy shooting it and so far every failure has been ammo related. i paid about $270 + tax NIB for mine.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i have a Mark III 22/45 Target model. i can add my recommendation to the list as well. the Buckmark is an excellent pistol also, but little more expensive. the S & W M41 is a very nice pistol, if you can find for a reasonable price. the Colt's Woodsman, oooh, good luck. very accurate and high in price, but a really sweet pistol. of those i listed, the Ruger Mark III is your best bargain. accurate, well made, very reliable and decently priced.

the Ruger isn't really that hard to field strip, just the first few times on a new pistol, everything is new and tight. once you have done it a few times it does get easier. just follow the directions in the owners manual or go to YouTube and watch some of the videos.

after 2000+ rounds through mine, i still enjoy shooting it and so far every failure has been ammo related. i paid about $270 + tax NIB for mine.
Just wondering here but what ammo gave you trouble? Or was it a certain type of ammo? I know every gun is different but I have heard a trend of failures with low velocity rounds.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #15

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

I tried .22lr Winchester Wildcat in my 22/45 at first. It was awful. With various CCIs & Eley, no problem.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB444 View Post
Just wondering here but what ammo gave you trouble? Or was it a certain type of ammo? I know every gun is different but I have heard a trend of failures with low velocity rounds.
if i remember correctly it was some of the Winchester bulk pack HV ammo. i know it was the ammo and not the pistol. problem was FTF, and it was doing the same thing in my Marlin M60 rifle. i think about 10-15 out of a box of 525. didn't have any problems with other brands and i just quit using that particular brand of ammo. it was a fault of the ammo and not the pistol. i only use the HV ammo because both my pistol and rifle are semi-auto rimfires.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Honestly takedown on the 22/45 is complicated and hard on a new gun. Once done a few dozen timse to break it in, it does become easier. I took me a while because mine was very very tight, and I swear I thought I was going to break it trying to take it down and putting it back together.

I've tried my firens that is a few years old and it was much easier as its been around the block a few times but honestly I don't miss my 22/45 at all. GSG 1911 (sig1911 is made by GSG iirc) is so much easier to take down, and a lots nicer to shoot. Grips and angles identical to a 1911. I porbabaly have over 5k through mines and only a handfull of ftfires mostly ammo related.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Had a Sig Mosquito. Would NOT recommend.
Had a Ruger 22/45 Would recommend. Sweet shooter. Take down's a bitch tho, couldn't take it anymore.

GS1911. Love this thing. Would definitely recommend.
Tikki- What problems did you have with your Mosquito? Im trying to get my fiance interested in shooting and was considering buying her the pink one. Trust me wasn't my first choice but she like the looks of it. I wanted to buy her a mark III. I don't want to hi jack the thread so you can pm me if you want. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I picked up the Sig 1911 a couple months back. Never had a problem with about 300 rds so far. Girlfriend loves shooting it. Her only complaint is the mags chip her nails when loading.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #20

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue

Tikki- What problems did you have with your Mosquito? Im trying to get my fiance interested in shooting and was considering buying her the pink one. Trust me wasn't my first choice but she like the looks of it. I wanted to buy her a mark III. I don't want to hi jack the thread so you can pm me if you want. Thanks!
I bought a mosquito as my first hand gun and followed with a Sig P226. I'd you keep the slide rails lubricated (apply just before shooting) it should be fine. Once I started this problems went away and I use CCI Mini Mag ammo. If that's too much trouble the go with the Sig 1911 .22. Good luck