To compact or full size? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > To compact or full size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tertullus
I came home the other day and got the look. "Why do you need another gun?"

I told her
"It's like diamonds for men."
She was quiet after that.
Just picked up a new Para.45 single stack. Got the same look and question.

Why do you need another gun.
Told her "Why did you buy more shoes, plus I just spent $1200 on you to Georgia, and I am not going!" she did not say a word after that.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf

Just picked up a new Para.45 single stack. Got the same look and question.

Why do you need another gun.
Told her "Why did you buy more shoes, plus I just spent $1200 on you to Georgia, and I am not going!" she did not say a word after that.
I double agree with the single stack .45...and if you like shooting look into a nice .22. Cheap target fun!

If I was going to spend $1,200 sending the wife somewhere it be further away than GA

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23LCPK45

I double agree with the single stack .45...and if you like shooting look into a nice .22. Cheap target fun!

If I was going to spend $1,200 sending the wife somewhere it be further away than GA
So would I. But she is going to Ft. Benning to see our son in his "Turning Blue" ceremony as he graduates from the Infantry School.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #24

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I was nevar a big fan of the compacts because I did not like they way they felt in my hand, nor was I thrilled about the 9mms, but I really like my Beretta 92L Compact. I have always been a 1911 guy but wanted to get a 9mm for cheaper shooting. I fell right into a great deal on this Beretta. The handle and barrel is 1/2 " shorter than the full-size 92s. With the extension on the magazine base plate it fits my hand well. It is a nice shooter.

guns-027.jpg  

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #25

What he said. BUT - you are more likely to have a compact with you when you need it. I suggest that you begin with a larger pistol with a heavier frame, something like a CZ 75 or M&P Shield, or a Glock in something like 9mm and learn to shoot that first. Heck, I'd even begin with a large frame .22 such as a Ruger Mark III or Buckmark so you can afford to practice.

Shooting a pistol is much harder than it looks - and much, much harder than shooting a rifle or a shotgun. The only way to become competent is to practice a lot. You are more likely to do that, and enjoy it more, with a larger frame pistol. You are more likely to be able to afford to do it with a .22. Unless you get into reloading, and quality .22 can quickly pay for itself.

Then, once you have learned stance, sight alignment, and trigger control, you can start all over with a small carry pistol. Personally, I like a small 9mm. I, personally, would not recommend a small carry pistol as a first pistol.

Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
As already covered for the most part...

Smaller sight radius usually equals less (or at least more difficult) precision.
Shorter grips will not fit some hands well, and grip is critical to accuracy.
Lighter weight generally makes for a less balanced gun and greater recoil.
Shorter barrels result both in greater recoil and diminished velocity.
Compacts often lack the service life of full-frames and aren't always designed to handle "full-house" loads.
Many compacts aren't fun high volume shooters at the range.

There are always exceptions, but the points above are true more often than not.