To compact or full size? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > To compact or full size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Scott pretty much nailed it. About the only thing I have to add is for a lot of people they cannot stand not being able to put their pinky on the grip so they usually get magazines with finger extensions on them. I actually rarely use my pinky when grasping a firearm, so for me it's a positive due to the more compact size.
In the begaining when I started carrying my XD45C with the shorter mag it felt different. But given time and practice I hardly notice it now.

But what it comes down to is what do you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. If you do not like what you shoot and carry then you will not carry it. If you do not carry it you will not have it when you need it.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #12

My biggest problem with compacts it the fact that with the amplified recoil, and smaller grip size, they actually hurt a bit to shoot (at least for me, I have freakishly large hands). For ccw though they're generally a ton easier to carry than their full size counterparts.

Never Forget.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #13

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf

In the begaining when I started carrying my XD45C with the shorter mag it felt different. But given time and practice I hardly notice it now.

But what it comes down to is what do you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. If you do not like what you shoot and carry then you will not carry it. If you do not carry it you will not have it when you need it.
Agreed.

I can't lie, I started buying guns with the intent of mere self defense (ie a personal daily driver and home defense). But I very quickly became enthralled with not just the feeling of shooting for sport but also the history and details of firearms.

I have a bad feeling that this is going to become my next expensive obsession. Mater of fact, too late, it already has.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
My biggest problem with compacts it the fact that with the amplified recoil, and smaller grip size, they actually hurt a bit to shoot (at least for me, I have freakishly large hands). For ccw though they're generally a ton easier to carry than their full size counterparts.

Never Forget.
I am 6' 1" and have large hands, yet after shooting my XD45C I have gotten used to curling my pinky under the magazine base plate and cupping it with my left hand. It takes some getting used to it take some time and practice. Plus I had to adjust my hand placement as well to shoot my compact pistol more comfortably.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Agreed.

I can't lie, I started buying guns with the intent of mere self defense (ie a personal daily driver and home defense). But I very quickly became enthralled with not just the feeling of shooting for sport but also the history and details of firearms.

I have a bad feeling that this is going to become my next expensive obsession. Mater of fact, too late, it already has.
Tell me about it. I have been shooting and collecting firearms for over 35yrs and my collection keeps getting bigger. I enjoy it but my wife gives me the "LOOK" everytime I bring a new weapon home. If any of you have ever had the "LOOK" you know what I mean.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #16

Quote:

I am 6' 1" and have large hands, yet after shooting my XD45C I have gotten used to curling my pinky under the magazine base plate and cupping it with my left hand. It takes some getting used to it take some time and practice. Plus I had to adjust my hand placement as well to shoot my compact pistol more comfortably.
Thanks for the advice, ill try that on my glock this weekend.

Never Forget.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #17

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:

Yeah, I'm also 6'1", but small framed, and with my LCP I have to tuck the pinky, but because it was only my second gun it didn't take me much to train myself. I find it second nature, though they do make an extended pinky magbutt that could work... I just don't feel the need.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post

Never Forget.
When you are forced to use it to save your life you will not even notice the recoil.

My wife hates her S & W 642CT because it is not FUN to shoot it is not for target shooting I bought it to save her life.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Consider a Sig 239 My opinion its a happy medium not too small I carry a 239 .40 7+1

Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
Tell me about it. I have been shooting and collecting firearms for over 35yrs and my collection keeps getting bigger. I enjoy it but my wife gives me the "LOOK" everytime I bring a new weapon home. If any of you have ever had the "LOOK" you know what I mean.
I came home the other day and got the look. "Why do you need another gun?"

I told her
"It's like diamonds for men."
She was quiet after that.