Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > To compact or full size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Default To compact or full size?

I'm a new shooter, but beside that I've always been much more attracted to the smaller guns. Not just for aesthetic appeal, but for carry and convenience purposes.

The negative side of compacts, as I see it, would be the constant reloading. But there's got to be more, right? What am I missing here...?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I'm a new shooter, but beside that I've always been much more attracted to the smaller guns. Not just for aesthetic appeal, but for carry and convenience purposes.

The negative side of compacts, as I see it, would be the constant reloading. But there's got to be more, right? What am I missing here...?
Less weight to absorb recoil.

Shorter sight radius.

But increased convenience and carry ability.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Scott pretty much nailed it. About the only thing I have to add is for a lot of people they cannot stand not being able to put their pinky on the grip so they usually get magazines with finger extensions on them. I actually rarely use my pinky when grasping a firearm, so for me it's a positive due to the more compact size.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Proud to be an American

Liked 554 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 287

The absolute best best gun for you is the one you have with you when you need it!
You will hear a lot of opinions on what size, caliber, capacity, stopping power etc.
But if you don't have it with you its a moot point at best! Chances are 99.9% you will never have to pull your gun in self defense
but to be prepared for that .01% chose a weapon you'll be comfortable carrying and using if necessary.
I have a few 1911's and I do love them but 2 1/2 lbs. on your belt for 8 or 9 hrs. is a bit much these days most of the time its a Ruger LC9
or my Taurus Millennium Pro in 45 acp if 8 rounds of 9 mil. isn't enough to settle the dispute I definitely need more range time!
There may come a time when you have to defend against marauding hordes but until then there's nothing wrong with small!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #5

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

As already covered for the most part...

Smaller sight radius usually equals less (or at least more difficult) precision.
Shorter grips will not fit some hands well, and grip is critical to accuracy.
Lighter weight generally makes for a less balanced gun and greater recoil.
Shorter barrels result both in greater recoil and diminished velocity.
Compacts often lack the service life of full-frames and aren't always designed to handle "full-house" loads.
Many compacts aren't fun high volume shooters at the range.

There are always exceptions, but the points above are true more often than not.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
JTJ

Liked 1244 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

I have a Glock 36 and an XD 45 compact. The G36 with 7 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 27 oz. The XD with 11 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 36 oz. The XD is easier to shoot and I am more accurate with it but guess which one get carried.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I have a Glock 36 and an XD 45 compact. The G36 with 7 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 27 oz. The XD with 11 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 36 oz. The XD is easier to shoot and I am more accurate with it but guess which one get carried.
I'm much more for the even lighter side of life. I have the LCP as my primary carry and LC9 as a backup if I go overboard with the l'il 380 when shooting, or don't want to carry in my waist line.

I can't imagine carrying anything larger than these two, especially a loaded 45. I know the caliber does more damage, in general, but the first round struck will almost always be from the gun of the last man standing. I'm more than confident with anything 380 and up, loaded with hollows.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I definitely would want to be able to get my whole hand on it, including all my fingers.

I would want it narrow enough to conceal, and the barrel as long as possible while still concealable.

And I would want the largest calibre that I can myself handle, because I want knock-down power. First-shot knock-down power.

And and adjustable rear sight, so I could count on it if I actually had to aim for whatever reason. Such as if the perp grabbed a hostage and said "drop it or I will kill her/him." In that case I would want an accruate handgun sighted in.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the glock 26 with pinky extender and the glock17 extended mags with grip extenders. I do a lot of practice at the range to over come the pinky issue and recoil. My advice is shoot a bunch at your local range that can rent guns. Once you find one you like shoot it several more times to make sure.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

The XDm 3.2 comes with two mags compact and full size. It give the best of both worlds.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent