Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   To compact or full size? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/compact-full-size-55067/)

BeyondTheBox 01-09-2012 01:15 AM

To compact or full size?

I'm a new shooter, but beside that I've always been much more attracted to the smaller guns. Not just for aesthetic appeal, but for carry and convenience purposes.

The negative side of compacts, as I see it, would be the constant reloading. But there's got to be more, right? What am I missing here...?

ScottA 01-09-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 671479)
I'm a new shooter, but beside that I've always been much more attracted to the smaller guns. Not just for aesthetic appeal, but for carry and convenience purposes.

The negative side of compacts, as I see it, would be the constant reloading. But there's got to be more, right? What am I missing here...?

Less weight to absorb recoil.

Shorter sight radius.

But increased convenience and carry ability.

Firearms4ever 01-09-2012 01:44 AM

Scott pretty much nailed it. About the only thing I have to add is for a lot of people they cannot stand not being able to put their pinky on the grip so they usually get magazines with finger extensions on them. I actually rarely use my pinky when grasping a firearm, so for me it's a positive due to the more compact size.

Pasquanel 01-09-2012 02:08 AM

The absolute best best gun for you is the one you have with you when you need it!
You will hear a lot of opinions on what size, caliber, capacity, stopping power etc.
But if you don't have it with you its a moot point at best! Chances are 99.9% you will never have to pull your gun in self defense
but to be prepared for that .01% chose a weapon you'll be comfortable carrying and using if necessary.
I have a few 1911's and I do love them but 2 1/2 lbs. on your belt for 8 or 9 hrs. is a bit much these days most of the time its a Ruger LC9
or my Taurus Millennium Pro in 45 acp if 8 rounds of 9 mil. isn't enough to settle the dispute I definitely need more range time!
There may come a time when you have to defend against marauding hordes but until then there's nothing wrong with small!

sweeper22 01-09-2012 02:45 AM

As already covered for the most part...

Smaller sight radius usually equals less (or at least more difficult) precision.
Shorter grips will not fit some hands well, and grip is critical to accuracy.
Lighter weight generally makes for a less balanced gun and greater recoil.
Shorter barrels result both in greater recoil and diminished velocity.
Compacts often lack the service life of full-frames and aren't always designed to handle "full-house" loads.
Many compacts aren't fun high volume shooters at the range.

There are always exceptions, but the points above are true more often than not.

JTJ 01-09-2012 03:05 AM

I have a Glock 36 and an XD 45 compact. The G36 with 7 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 27 oz. The XD with 11 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 36 oz. The XD is easier to shoot and I am more accurate with it but guess which one get carried.

BeyondTheBox 01-09-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ
I have a Glock 36 and an XD 45 compact. The G36 with 7 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 27 oz. The XD with 11 rounds of 230 grn 45 ACP weighs 36 oz. The XD is easier to shoot and I am more accurate with it but guess which one get carried.

I'm much more for the even lighter side of life. I have the LCP as my primary carry and LC9 as a backup if I go overboard with the l'il 380 when shooting, or don't want to carry in my waist line.

I can't imagine carrying anything larger than these two, especially a loaded 45. I know the caliber does more damage, in general, but the first round struck will almost always be from the gun of the last man standing. I'm more than confident with anything 380 and up, loaded with hollows.

Shoobee 01-09-2012 05:40 AM

I definitely would want to be able to get my whole hand on it, including all my fingers.

I would want it narrow enough to conceal, and the barrel as long as possible while still concealable.

And I would want the largest calibre that I can myself handle, because I want knock-down power. First-shot knock-down power.

And and adjustable rear sight, so I could count on it if I actually had to aim for whatever reason. Such as if the perp grabbed a hostage and said "drop it or I will kill her/him." In that case I would want an accruate handgun sighted in.

apowers1214 01-09-2012 11:39 AM

I have the glock 26 with pinky extender and the glock17 extended mags with grip extenders. I do a lot of practice at the range to over come the pinky issue and recoil. My advice is shoot a bunch at your local range that can rent guns. Once you find one you like shoot it several more times to make sure.

007BondJamesBond007 01-09-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 671479)

The XDm 3.2 comes with two mags compact and full size. It give the best of both worlds.