Comments and thoughts on the Sig 226 .40 S&W - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Comments and thoughts on the Sig 226 .40 S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

one last thing from me. the 22x series is very friendly to detail strip. not as easy as a 1911 but better than most other double action pistols. this makes used ones extremely easy to refurb worn parts. i wouldnt shy from a cheap used one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
If all you want the wrench to do is loosen the nut then fine. But what if you really like wrenches and think they have more use then just to loosen the nut?

If a pistol is only a tool then get a Glock They work..That's all. But if you are one that sees more in a pistol than just a tool then you might want to look around at other alternatives.

A Sig can get expensive. But you can find a deal of you look around. CPO or LEO trade ins can be had around 500.00 give or take 50.00. With as Sig you get a really nice weapon. One that will olive up to the "To hell and back reliability" moniker. And it wont give you that woke up next to the ugly chick after a hard night of drinking feeling.

At the end of the day no mater what it is it's only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If a Sig is too expensive then it's not worth it....To you. My two Sigs (226 & 229) I got for right at 500.00 per. To me they where worth every penny. But being mainly a 1911 guy I'm willing to pay pretty well for a weapon that in my opinion is more than a tool. It's more a functional work of art. I like how they look as well as how they function. A Sig in my opinion also fits in this category pretty well.
Thank you Drumjunkie, you summed up exactly what I meant.

It's like a $20 quartz Timex and an Omega Seamaster automatic will both tell you the time (Timex will even be more accurate). Not sure about the rest of y'alls but I'd take the Omega if I had a choice. Some may opt for the Timex because it take a better beating or because they can't afford the Omega (neither can I). Doesn't make either choice the wrong choice.

Bottomline: if all there is to guns is an efficient appliance that you press the trigger and it goes bang then, yeah, we should all just buy Glocks and companies like Wilson Combat, and STI should just stop making guns.

Same goes with knives. You can buy a good Spyderco for $200 and it will do everything you'd ever need a knife to do, but some can and will pay more for the privilege and pride of owning a handmade Chris Reeve Sebenza. Both will cut real well...

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-27-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BTW, I'm not flaming less expensive guns since I happen to be a big fan of CZ and Ruger!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterballistic View Post
BTW, I'm not flaming less expensive guns since I happen to be a big fan of CZ and Ruger!
Agreed, a good weapon does not need to cost a grand or more. It just has to fit and be reliable. I do think that when looking for the right weapon for you that it is not the right time to get stingy. Example if the Sig feels better than the others that might be less expensive you should get the Sig. You will shoot it better. Because it fit you better.

On the .40 thing I thought the 40 was an answer to the 10mm being too much for some people so they made a more manageable round. Sure the 40 is more snappy than a 9mm but it's not hard to control. Is it better than a 9mm? Not really.,,Not to me anyway. But I do prefer a 40 over a 9mm for defense. I like a 9mm more for a target round.But that's just me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 11-27-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #15

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Personally had there been a good supply of 45 ACP ammo on the shelves when I was looking for a CCW I'd have gotten Kimber, Para Ord, Springfield EMP or TRP or Colt Combat Commander. As it was there was almost always 40 S&W ammo on the shelf and I ended up getting an XDm40 and then a Stoeger Cougar 40. The XDm due to it's high cap magazines is my SHTF weapon and the Cougar has become my CCW. The Cougar is about half of what I paid for the XDm, it's got excellent quality, extremely accurate and is easy to shoot. The recoil on a rotary lock up barrel keeps barrel rise to a minimum which makes for great follow up shots. The 40 S&W round is no slouch, I really don't have anything bad to say about it but since 45 ACP ammo is back on the shelves in good supply if I were buying now I'd go for a 45 pistol out of the ones I've mentioned.