Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Colt Woodsman Match Target (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/colt-woodsman-match-target-76677/)

dada2d 11-19-2012 02:28 PM

Colt Woodsman Match Target
 
Hello all, I just inherited from my father in law , a first release Colt Match Target Woodsman along with three other guns. I was fascinated when I saw it! I found out that the grips are called elephant ears. Also I know that they were very fragile and prone to breakage. Well, one side of the grip has broken. Off long ago I assume. The rest of the pistol is in very good condition considering its age. I would like to know if anyone has one of these, and do you think it would be a good idea to have it restored?
Thanks for any info.

hiwall 11-19-2012 03:27 PM

No on the restore. Those are nice guns, leave it alone(you can shoot it though:)).

Olympus 11-19-2012 04:03 PM

Depends on what you want restored. What's wrong with the gun outside the grips being broken?

dada2d 11-19-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus
Depends on what you want restored. What's wrong with the gun outside the grips being broken?

Not a thing that I can see. Other than some loss of bluing. The action is smooth, and the original mag has plenty of spring left in it.

Sonic82 11-19-2012 05:54 PM

Really great gifts. Your Father in Law was good to you..enjoy them. What are the other guns? let's see some photos.

Shoobee 11-19-2012 06:58 PM

I used to have a Colt Woodsman 22LR pistol.

Great gun for a backpack trip.

Will easily bag squirrels, grouse, quail, rabbits for dinner.

The Ruger's have pretty much filled the niche in this calibre.

But an old antique is fine too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/models.html

dada2d 11-19-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82
Really great gifts. Your Father in Law was good to you..enjoy them. What are the other guns? let's see some photos.

Yes he was a great man!!
I will try and get some pics up later tonight if I can figure I out! Lol
The other guns were a late model S&W snubby .38 Airweight
A 1917 US Eddystone 30-06 rifle
A real nice old model ruger single six w stag grips!! Sweet..:)
I can't belive that I actually own these now!!

Sonic82 11-19-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dada2d (Post 1020125)
Yes he was a great man!!
I will try and get some pics up later tonight if I can figure I out! Lol
The other guns were a late model S&W snubby .38 Airweight
A 1917 US Eddystone 30-06 rifle
A real nice old model ruger single six w stag grips!! Sweet..:)
I can't belive that I actually own these now!!

My Uncle and Father gave a few to me this past summer...I know the feeling :)

HOSSFLY 11-19-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dada2d (Post 1020125)
Yes he was a great man!!
I will try and get some pics up later tonight if I can figure I out! Lol
The other guns were a late model S&W snubby .38 Airweight
A 1917 US Eddystone 30-06 rifle
A real nice old model ruger single six w stag grips!! Sweet..:)
I can't belive that I actually own these now!!

Just inherited 4 from my FIL myself---
Mine had no sons ( 4 girls) & his other SIL's are to dum to pour piss from a boot so he left them to me :)
How bout you? :p

Olympus 11-19-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dada2d

Not a thing that I can see. Other than some loss of bluing. The action is smooth, and the original mag has plenty of spring left in it.

Then it doesn't sound like anything needs to be restored. Take care of it and enjoy it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.