Colt Huntsman question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Colt Huntsman question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruthsRazors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Default Colt Huntsman question

What kind of modifications can be done to a Colt Huntsman?

__________________
TruthsRazors is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruthsRazors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Actually let me be more specific. I don't mean upgrades because I wasn to keep it as original as possible. What i'm looking for is anything I can do to it that will not effect its originality but improve it in a way that will not take away from it. if that makes any sense. It is an old gun that has seen some use over the years.

__________________
TruthsRazors is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

There is nothing you can do to such a fine pistol that would not alter the value of it.

If you want a pistol to "MOD OUT" go and buy a Ruger MkII or III or Browning buckmark or Beretta Neos. they are all a dime a dozen.

A true good condition colt woodsman or huntsman will bring guys like me in and hve the drooling all over the place. The last time I shot a woodsman there was nothing you could do to that pistol to make is any better.

Why do all you young kids think everything needs to be modded out? Can't you just be happy with have a great old pistol that shoots good and is reliable?

__________________
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruthsRazors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
There is nothing you can do to such a fine pistol that would not alter the value of it.

If you want a pistol to "MOD OUT" go and buy a Ruger MkII or III or Browning buckmark or Beretta Neos. they are all a dime a dozen.

A true good condition colt woodsman or huntsman will bring guys like me in and hve the drooling all over the place. The last time I shot a woodsman there was nothing you could do to that pistol to make is any better.

Why do all you young kids think everything needs to be modded out? Can't you just be happy with have a great old pistol that shoots good and is reliable?
I dont want to mod it out. Why cant you old guys ever read a comment for what it says instead of trying to make assumptions. And to say I am a young kid is a little presumptuous since I am a 21 year old. I'm still young but far from a kid in age, intelligence, and maturity(most of the time).
My Grandfather just gave me this pistol and i do not want to do anything to change it. I cherish both for the way it was made and the fact that he gave it to me. That's why I specified that I did not want it to change the value. I didn't know if some of the innerworkings will be a little worn and if they are i want to be able to replace them so that it works like it should.

Some people I will never understand. Does anyone know if I can replace any worn out parts without hurting its value or originality
__________________
TruthsRazors is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruthsRazors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Are there any good resources for tearing this pistol down for cleaning? Preferably a video.

__________________
TruthsRazors is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I expect you can buy a take down info from Colt, doubt they have a DVD so your going to have to read. Best to take it to a good gunsmith to check out if there are any worn parts that should be replaced and ask the question of repair to value at that point.

Being disrespectful to a person older than you prevents you from learning from there expereince. cpttango30 gave you sound advice "There is nothing you can do to such a fine pistol that would not alter the value of it" and in return you were rude.

__________________
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rjgnwdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bristow, VA.,Virginia
Posts: 541
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Did a google

Well being you're just a whipper-snapper you probably already googled it, but I found this site that might help you out
Colt Huntsman Semi-Auto Pistol

__________________
rjgnwdc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruthsRazors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I expect you can buy a take down info from Colt, doubt they have a DVD so your going to have to read. Best to take it to a good gunsmith to check out if there are any worn parts that should be replaced and ask the question of repair to value at that point.

Being disrespectful to a person older than you prevents you from learning from there expereince. cpttango30 gave you sound advice "There is nothing you can do to such a fine pistol that would not alter the value of it" and in return you were rude.
I have read a couple resources but in doing so learned how difficult this pistol is to take down so i was hoping to find somethin that would make it crystal. However, I don't think I will find any videos either. Would be nice but I'll manage.

I might hit up a gunsmith and see what he says. Hopefully nothin to expensive since I'm a college student and you know what that means.
__________________

Last edited by TruthsRazors; 03-28-2009 at 06:54 AM.
TruthsRazors is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruthsRazors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
Well being you're just a whipper-snapper you probably already googled it, but I found this site that might help you out
Colt Huntsman Semi-Auto Pistol
Thanks man that should help. I'm just worried I'm gonna get this apart and have a piece left over once I get it back together.
__________________
TruthsRazors is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CARNUT1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ---,Tasmania
Posts: 112
Default

There are a few tricky things when doing a full strip down and reassemble, for instance the little spring under the sideplate is easy to get wrong and bend...don't ask how I know. I'm just glad it came with a spare spring...
Field striping is a piece of cake and only requires a screwdriver for the grip screw. THe screw itself is used to push out the mainspring housing pin.
I have a book from the 1950s detailing the strip down procedure and I practiced this until I could field strip it in 20 seconds and reassemble in 30.

Sadly mine ( a Mk3 Match Target from 1956) has a broken sear and I have been struggling with finding a replacement.
Sadly my father sold his Mk3 Huntsman a few weeks before my sear broke or I would have just copied it, but I don't know anyone with a Woodsman who will let me measure up and photograph the sear...

THey are a wonderful pistol, have fun with it and treat it with respect and it will do likewise to you.

__________________

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

CARNUT1100 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Colt frontier scout question TLindsey Revolver Handguns 6 06-05-2013 02:47 PM
Colt Navy Revolver Serial # question Jiblin Curio & Relic Discussion 10 03-03-2010 11:24 PM
Colt Series 80 Question user4 1911 Forum 22 05-27-2009 12:18 AM
Base Prices for Colt .38 SN Detective/Colt .357 Python jknopp45 Revolver Handguns 2 02-14-2009 06:30 AM
58 caliber Huntsman JHendrix Blackpowder & Musket 1 08-01-2007 01:27 AM