Colt Double Eagle Officer`s Model
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Colt Double Eagle Officer`s Model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Double Eagle Officer`s Model

Ok, here we go again..This is a good one. I just bought a Colt Double Eagle Lightweight Officer`s Model .45 ACP. It was a little dirty, the guy I bought it from never cleaned it. I bought it for $ 400.00. I got home and stripped it down, cleaned and lubed it. This gun was so much smoother after I got it home and cleaned it. I could not wait to get to the range. I have alot of 1911 magazines, The Double Eagle .45 takes regular 1911 magazines. I grabbed 2 Kimber factory mags and 2 Mec-Gar mags. This gun shot very good ! The recoil on the lightweight is a little harsh, but I am a recoil junky! The gun shot very good, I was impressed. No jams or burps. I was shooting my Hornady 230 Grn. FMJ reloads. My Colt`s never mess up with my reloads. I was hitting my target, I was hitting everything I was aiming at 10 - 25 yards, impressive for a 3 1/2'' barrel. This gun was not shot much at all, it sat in his safe for years. This is my favorite gun now, ''not including my duty gun''. I have read alot about the Colt Double Eagles, I guess I got a good one, this pistol sounds and feels good in my hands, and when I shoot it. It feels like a Sig P228. I think they fit the same holsters too. I know the full size Double Eagles take the same holster as the Smith and Wesson 4506. After I returned home with a smile on my face, I got on the internet and found this specific gun going for $800 - $1250 on some auctions because they are rare. Very impressed with my new toy!!!!

Last edited by shannon; 03-05-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

Congrats on you new gun. Sounds wonderful

Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Congrats. Keep it maintained, and never sell it.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #4

Oh, it`s a keeper, I am not selling it. Matter of fact, I got my bluing vat out right now, I am rebluing it..looks even better.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A truly good buy but rebluing it my lower the value inless it is in truly poor condition already. I'd hgold off on refinish unless it is simply too ugly, it might look better but will drop the resale price for collectors and collectors is why the price is where it's at.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #6

The blue was wore off some on the side that it was laying on for quiet a few years. It looks alot better than it did when I got it. I know what you are saying, I don`t intend to sell it. It all looks factory finish.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #7

This makes me want a full size Double Eagle in .45 ACP.... I might try it if I have the extra funds this month. I will keep you posted.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #8

I've been carrying my Double Eagle Officer's Model Light Weight for over twenty years.

At the time I bought it, there were not a whole lot of options for a small, light double action 45. Per my department's policy, it had to be double action if I was to carry it as a back up.

All my old 1911 mags fit. Sig 228 hosters fit. It's small. It's light. It's accurate. IT DOES NOT JAM!

I thought it might be a 'shoot little-carry much' gun. Carry much indeed. All the time while on duty as a back up. All the time off duty.

I heard a lot of nasty talk about the Double Eagles. My experience is quite the opposite. I have fired it *when it counts* - repeatedly. I have counted on it and it has never failed me.

About the only thing I could ask for would be a higher capacity magazine. Paraordanance is *almost* there but, a safety on a double action only gun?...

Find one - grab it!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #9

Default Full Size

I found a full size, stainless, Double Eagle at an Estate Auction about 8 years ago. It was new in the box, had never been shot. Now after several thousand rounds, I can say its an awesome gun. I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match, Mark IV Series 70, 1911 and its amazing how little difference there is in the feel of the two. The Double Eagle is much less picky on ammo. Mine eats anything I feed it, 185, 200, 230 grains, fmj or hp doesn't matter, it eats 'em all.
Congrats on your find. You'll love it for a long time to come.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Dern, I was hoping for a couple of pics

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)