cocking questioning - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > cocking questioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

When it comes to semiauto actions...there are clear-cut SAO, DAO, DA/SA, and then there's a litany of guns (most of them polymer framed and/or striker fired) that fall somewhere in between and aren't so easily defined. Ultimately, most people label these DAO.

A gun that has a traditional, light, single action type trigger pull available (whether SAO or DA/SA) will almost always have a manual safety or decocker. Obvious reasoning there of course.

Almost any semi-auto that doesn't have a manual safety/decocker wears the DAO label. Of course the safety/decocker is symptomatic of a SA, not the direct reason it's labeled as such. A Glock doesn't function like a DAO, but it also doesn't have an inherently light SA trigger as part of its process...which it shouldn't have, given the lack of a manual safety.

Lots of semantics, labels, and personal perspectives come into play when trying to define an "action". And I'm certainly no expert.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Looks a lot like a Kel-Tec P11.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #23

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Looks a lot like a Kel-Tec P11.
I believe the founder of SKKY now SCCY was formerly employed at Kel-Tec.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #24

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I believe the founder of SKKY now SCCY was formerly employed at Kel-Tec.

Yeah I've heard that he was but then I also heard he wasn't so I'm not to sure. One thing I have heard from most everyone is that there customer service is excellent now and any problems with their customer serve was in the past. I also know that they do supposedly have the best warranty being a no questions asked lifetime warranty that follows the gun, not the owner. So I'm hopeful on how it will work out. Although I have not ever a Kel-Tec P11 or a PF9, I have heard they're quite similar.
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #25

Likes Given: 5

Good luck Biker. I bought one recently and have been pleasantly surprised. I think it will take a while for them to overcome their initial poor reputation, but it seems they are on the way.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #26

Most semi autos hold the slide open after the last round is fired. Once you drop the empty mag and insert a fresh one (loaded with cartridges) you can either rack the slide or press the slide release to load a round in the chamber. There are several schools of thought in the this regard, but both have merit. Thereafter, in true DOA, each time you pull the trigger, you are simultaneously moving the hammer back and when the trigger is fully depressed, the hammer releases, striking the firing pin and firing the round. Immediately thereafter, the slide is forced backwards, ejecting the spent shell, then returns forward, picking up and loading the next cartridge.
Verifying that the gun is empty and the slide is already forward, when you insert a loaded magazine, you MUST always rack the slide in order to load the first cartridge. The other option is to lock the slide open and follow the steps above. In guns that are SA or DA/SA, the gun is now loaded and ready to fire. Unlike DAO, in SA/DA, when you pull the trigger, you are moving a sear mechanism that is holding the hammer or striker in a locked position until it travels far enough to release the hammer or striker and causes the gun to discharge. Once the slide cycles, another round is loaded and the process may be repeated.