cocking questioning - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > cocking questioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

GLOCKs are striker fired, not a true DAO.

And yes, you need to rack the slide to chamber the first round.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #12

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
GLOCKs are striker fired, not a true DAO.

And yes, you need to rack the slide to chamber the first round.
OK, So I have to rack the slide to chamber the first round in the Glock, but am I correct and don't have to do this on the SCCY as it is true DAO?

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #13

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
OK, So I have to rack the slide to chamber the first round in the Glock, but am I correct and don't have to do this on the SCCY as it is true DAO?
No...DAO has nothing to do with loading a round from the magazine into the chamber, it only describes whether the trigger first cocks the hammer and then releases it, firing the round. If the chamber is empty the hammer will simply drop on an empty chamber. Every semi-auto pistol requires that the slide, or some other charging mechanism, be used to chamber a round.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
OK, I thought and pretty much knew this what a true DAO, does that mean that I do not have to chamber a round like I would by pulling the slide back in order to fire a first shot? Also I have a Glock 22, I have heard that Glocks were double action then I heard they weren't. Do you have to pull the slide back to chamber a round in them to fire the first shot. I know they're not DAO though as dry firing it you can here hammer however it will not reset without pulling the slide back and releasing it, so I'm assuming its a DA/SA so does that mean I don't have to push the slide back to chamber the first round in it to fire? I know my Hi-point on the other hand is single action only and if you try dry firing it you can not hear the hammer moving and it says pulled in.
You have to rack the slide for the first round in pretty much every (previously empty) semi-auto handgun that I'm aware of. Otherwise that round is just sitting in the magazine. Of course slapping a loaded mag into an empty gun with the slide locked back will often engage the slide (thus, chambering a round) as well.

Glocks are DAO. I believe all Hi-Points are DAO as well.

Do careful homework in breaking in your new gun. The Sccy's rep is about as spotty as it gets for any currently produced US firearm. It's something I would steer fellow shooters away from every time, but that doesn't have to mean yours is a dud. Hopefully you got a keeper and all will go well.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #15

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Your kind of being confusing, or im the one confused.with a glock you have to rack the slide to chamber a round,this automatically cocks the striker. Then you just pull the trigger until your empty and the slide locks back.then you put in a new mag,release the slide and repeat. Ive never heard of a striker fired semi auto pistol with the DA like a revolver "meaning you can drop the striker with each pull of trigger with the gun empty without having to rack the slide each time"

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
No...DAO has nothing to do with loading a round from the magazine into the chamber, it only describes whether the trigger first cocks the hammer and then releases it, firing the round. If the chamber is empty the hammer will simply drop on an empty chamber. Every semi-auto pistol requires that the slide, or some other charging mechanism, be used to chamber a round.

OK Thank you very much
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #17

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
OK Thank you very much
My pleasure...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Your kind of being confusing, or im the one confused.with a glock you have to rack the slide to chamber a round,this automatically cocks the striker. Then you just pull the trigger until your empty and the slide locks back.then you put in a new mag,release the slide and repeat. Ive never heard of a striker fired semi auto pistol with the DA like a revolver "meaning you can drop the striker with each pull of trigger with the gun empty without having to rack the slide each time"
In the SCCY I can dry fire multiple times without rackling the slide. I am unable to do this in either of my other pistols as I've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Do careful homework in breaking in your new gun. The Sccy's rep is about as spotty as it gets for any currently produced US firearm. It's something I would steer fellow shooters away from every time, but that doesn't have to mean yours is a dud. Hopefully you got a keeper and all will go well.
I know Sccy pistols have quite a few bad views, however I've done a lot of homework on them and every review is from the 1st gen CPX-1 modem. I have the 2nd gen CPX-2. The manual safety that everyone has problem with has been eliminated and is no longer on there, the mag release has been shaved down a little, and from everything I have heard is a big improvement over the older models produced which were known for problems. I'm hoping this is correct and I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to check it out.
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #19

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406

In the SCCY I can dry fire multiple times without rackling the slide. I am unable to do this in either of my other pistols as I've said.

I know Sccy pistols have quite a few bad views, however I've done a lot of homework on them and every review is from the 1st gen CPX-1 modem. I have the 2nd gen CPX-2. The manual safety that everyone has problem with has been eliminated and is no longer on there, the mag release has been shaved down a little, and from everything I have heard is a big improvement over the older models produced which were known for problems. I'm hoping this is correct and I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to check it out.
Can you post a photo of the SCCY?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Can you post a photo of the SCCY?
Here's a pic of each side of it. Its the one on the bottom named Chic (I name my guns)

gun-pics-3-.jpg   gun-pics-4-.jpg  
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP