Cleaning my "plastic" gun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Cleaning my "plastic" gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning my "plastic" gun

I have a ruger P95. What should I clean / lubricate it with. I also have a savage arms 22lr rifle (i believe it is a model 64). This is a plastic stocked rifle. Can I use some sort of "bore blast" cleaner on this in between major breakdown cleanings, to keep the internals working properly. It doesn't like to be dirty.

Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I use Hoppes # 9 as the cleaner and Mobil One synthetic oil as the lube on all of my guns. Certainly lots of options out there...

Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You don't clean plastic...you recycle it!!!

I'm sorry I have plastic guns but I couldn't help it. I use Hoppe's #9
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have been known to use WD-40 on my P95.I don't spray the whole gun or anything,but it does clean the internal parts and barrel well.I just clean and wipe down the metal with WD-40,then put some Hoppes no 9 on the slide rails.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use hoppes as well and some light gun oil.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #6

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have been known to use WD-40 on my P95.I don't spray the whole gun or anything,but it does clean the internal parts and barrel well.I just clean and wipe down the metal with WD-40,then put some Hoppes no 9 on the slide rails.
With all due respect, I think you're doing that in the wrong order. You want to use solvent on the pistol first and then finish with the oil or lubricant....not WD40, but an oil made for that purpose.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen where extended use of WD-40 has taken the bluing off the metal and the stain off wood stocks, although, WD-40 works well as an adhesive tape remover if you get glue on you gun.

Gun Scrub works well on internal parts if your not an armorer. Shooter's Choice and Hoppes are very good products and I use FP-10 as lube. I'm not down with that whole motor oil lube yet, but I'm not saying it doesn't work either.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
You don't clean plastic...you recycle it!!!

I'm sorry I have plastic guns but I couldn't help it. I use Hoppe's #9
Oh come on that was funny....geeze you guys have no sense of humor...lol

If you are looking to strip the gun bare (no oil, deposits) perfectly clean then you can use brake cleaner. But to warn you, it will strip the gun of all oils. You would be surprised how much oil the metal retains, but you'll find that out when you start to re-oil it and the gun absorbs it like a sponge.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Great question. I'm going to start washing mine in the kitchen sink using Dawn dish detergent and lubricating it with Break-Free. I'll let you know how it goes, as this sumbeeyotch got dirty over the past few days.
I will be using copper solvent while cleaning the barrel, though.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Last edited by gorknoids; 02-19-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Oh come on that was funny....geeze you guys have no sense of humor...lol

If you are looking to strip the gun bare (no oil, deposits) perfectly clean then you can use brake cleaner. But to warn you, it will strip the gun of all oils. You would be surprised how much oil the metal retains, but you'll find that out when you start to re-oil it and the gun absorbs it like a sponge.
Metal doesn't retain oil unless it's cracked. Not crapping on you, but having been a certified NDI operator, I have to post the truth. Oil does not soak into gun metal.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."