Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Cleaning my "plastic" gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/cleaning-my-plastic-gun-23486/)

bradyman1 02-16-2010 04:49 PM

Cleaning my "plastic" gun
 
I have a ruger P95. What should I clean / lubricate it with. I also have a savage arms 22lr rifle (i believe it is a model 64). This is a plastic stocked rifle. Can I use some sort of "bore blast" cleaner on this in between major breakdown cleanings, to keep the internals working properly. It doesn't like to be dirty.

Thanks for the help!

NGIB 02-16-2010 04:58 PM

I use Hoppes # 9 as the cleaner and Mobil One synthetic oil as the lube on all of my guns. Certainly lots of options out there...

DarinCraft 02-18-2010 02:36 AM

You don't clean plastic...you recycle it!!!
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif
I'm sorry I have plastic guns but I couldn't help it. I use Hoppe's #9

ninjatoth 02-18-2010 08:09 PM

I have been known to use WD-40 on my P95.I don't spray the whole gun or anything,but it does clean the internal parts and barrel well.I just clean and wipe down the metal with WD-40,then put some Hoppes no 9 on the slide rails.

spittinfire 02-18-2010 08:32 PM

I use hoppes as well and some light gun oil.

lonyaeger 02-18-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 232512)
I have been known to use WD-40 on my P95.I don't spray the whole gun or anything,but it does clean the internal parts and barrel well.I just clean and wipe down the metal with WD-40,then put some Hoppes no 9 on the slide rails.

With all due respect, I think you're doing that in the wrong order. You want to use solvent on the pistol first and then finish with the oil or lubricant....not WD40, but an oil made for that purpose.

hunter Joe 02-18-2010 09:50 PM

I've seen where extended use of WD-40 has taken the bluing off the metal and the stain off wood stocks, although, WD-40 works well as an adhesive tape remover if you get glue on you gun.

Gun Scrub works well on internal parts if your not an armorer. Shooter's Choice and Hoppes are very good products and I use FP-10 as lube. I'm not down with that whole motor oil lube yet, but I'm not saying it doesn't work either.

DarinCraft 02-19-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 232155)
You don't clean plastic...you recycle it!!!
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif
I'm sorry I have plastic guns but I couldn't help it. I use Hoppe's #9

Oh come on that was funny....geeze you guys have no sense of humor...lol

If you are looking to strip the gun bare (no oil, deposits) perfectly clean then you can use brake cleaner. But to warn you, it will strip the gun of all oils. You would be surprised how much oil the metal retains, but you'll find that out when you start to re-oil it and the gun absorbs it like a sponge.

gorknoids 02-19-2010 01:05 AM

Great question. I'm going to start washing mine in the kitchen sink using Dawn dish detergent and lubricating it with Break-Free. I'll let you know how it goes, as this sumbeeyotch got dirty over the past few days.
I will be using copper solvent while cleaning the barrel, though.

gorknoids 02-19-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 232632)
Oh come on that was funny....geeze you guys have no sense of humor...lol

If you are looking to strip the gun bare (no oil, deposits) perfectly clean then you can use brake cleaner. But to warn you, it will strip the gun of all oils. You would be surprised how much oil the metal retains, but you'll find that out when you start to re-oil it and the gun absorbs it like a sponge.

Metal doesn't retain oil unless it's cracked. Not crapping on you, but having been a certified NDI operator, I have to post the truth. Oil does not soak into gun metal.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.