Checking empty pistol - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Checking empty pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
I just wanted to say that having an accident is no fun but it can really scare the hell out of you enough to get you to CHECK EVERY TIME!!
I personally rack several times, then inspect.
If you want to see the definition of the word pale, look at someone's face after they had an accidental discharge.

I something I read in one of the gun mags....don't remember who wrote it....but I like it just the same.

There are two types of gun owners. Those who have had an accidental discharge, and those who are going to.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #32

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
If you want to see the definition of the word pale, look at someone's face after they had an accidental discharge.

I something I read in one of the gun mags....don't remember who wrote it....but I like it just the same.

There are two types of gun owners. Those who have had an accidental discharge, and those who are going to.
I'll tell you a story about mine.

Me, My gf, and my shooting buddy in my living room examining my new Taurus Judge. ( Can you see where this is going?)

Me- (hand weapon to him cylinder out, empty) Then distracted looking at his new .44 Magnum.
Him- (Reloads the Judge with .410 000 from the table, hands back cylinder closed)
Him and my GF- (Examining his .44 because she was scared of it. Just as he convinces her to hold it alone and try the action)
Me- (Stupidly forgetting to check my cylinder, thinking I'm dry firing into the floor-)

Now we have a nice rug to put your shoes on when you come in, and I will NEVER not check a weapon some one has handed me again. I'm really lucky that if I do dry fire, it's always into the ground.
Fast Forward a couple years later, some weapons classes under my belt, and I really do understand how lucky I am. a .410 000 shell is no joke.

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1276 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

1. Pick up gun carefully, keeping it pointed downrange.
2. Aim at mother-in-law's center chest.
3. Squeeze trigger.
4. Listen for either loud bang or loud cursing and screaming.
5. Bang means it was loaded, cursing means it was not.
6. If cursing and screaming, reload gun and start over with 1.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #34

Liked 1024 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I never dry fire any weapon, its not needed to operate a gun. My opinion is,if your not intentionally performing dry firing exercises for practice purposes then its not needed. There are alot of accidental discharges because some people just feel the need to dry fire their guns all the time

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 02-02-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #35

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
I never dry fire any weapon, its not needed to operate a gun. My opinion is,if your not intentionally performing dry firing exercises for practice purposes then its not needed. There are alot of accidental discharges because some people just feel the need to dry fire their gun all the time
Example: my old neighbor. Don't know if you read the story or not, he was a cop and liked to play with his gun. Sitting at the kitchen table fooling around (supposedly cleaning it), his sister who was visiting asked him if he would put it away because guns make her nervous. He said "is not loaded, see?" Put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

The guy was a total tool too, and what aggravates me most is the hero's funeral he got.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Example: my old neighbor. Don't know if you read the story or not, he was a cop and liked to play with his gun. Sitting at the kitchen table fooling around (supposedly cleaning it), his sister who was visiting asked him if he would put it away because guns make her nervous. He said "is not loaded, see?" Put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

The guy was a total tool too, and what aggravates me most is the hero's funeral he got.
Thats pretty sad..he is dead and now his sister is scarred for life because of his stupidity. Was he your neighbor when it happened?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #37

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Thats pretty sad..he is dead and now his sister is scarred for life because of his stupidity. Was he your neighbor when it happened?
Not really, he was my dad's neighbor, I was living with my dad when he moved in, but 3 years our so after that, I moved to my mom's and joined the Marines shortly thereafter. This happened about two years after I moved out, about 5 years after he moved in. Confused?

And then, several years later, I ended up renting the house from my dad, and had to deal with the guy's d-bag of a son.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Damn that's really sad, can you imagine once he pulled that trigger and instantly died can you imagine what a shock when he gets wherever it is you go after you die. And says wtf am I doing here?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #39

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I never dry fire any weapon, its not needed to operate a gun. My opinion is,if your not intentionally performing dry firing exercises for practice purposes then its not needed. There are alot of accidental discharges because some people just feel the need to dry fire their guns all the time
My question is how do you de-cock a weapon without dry firing? I don't like just having stuff cocked sitting around as much as I like NOT having stuff cocked sitting around? So if you don't have a de-cocker like a bersa has or something, isn't the only way to Dry fire it?
Straighten me out by all means if I'm wrong, I have a lot to learn about weapons.

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #40

I guess you can fix stupid