Checking empty pistol - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Checking empty pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Pick your routine and train yourself to do it the same way EVERY time you handle a gun. There is no magic to the number of times a slide is racked or whether or not the gun is dry fired. The goal is to ensure the Chamber is empty and the key is repetition.

Tack

Old 01-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #22

Likes Given: 1

Tackleberry: good post.

The same every time.

My Glocks either have the trigger cocked which is hot. Or, the trigger down which means nothing is in the chamber, but the magazine is full.

My two S&W Bodyguards ( revolvers, I don't know if the marketing dept. has reused the name in the interest of selling a newer auto.) are always loaded. Always.

The full stainless Bodyguard has been dry fired more than cartridge fired. Helped me and the revolver.

Ammunition is never in the same room as any weapon I dry fire. I was in my late teens dry firing a .357 Dan Wesson when a girl called. Corded phone, pretty girl, lack of attention. I put the telephone back on the coffee table and promptly blew it off the table. Even an old rotary dial AT&T phone can't stand a FMJ .357 at about 12 feet.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Pick your routine and train yourself to do it the same way EVERY time you handle a gun. There is no magic to the number of times a slide is racked or whether or not the gun is dry fired. The goal is to ensure the Chamber is empty and the key is repetition.

Tack
Agreed...but there is a hidden trap there that you have to watch out for. Repetition to the point where something becomes automatic can cause some people to get careless. They rely on their experience and stop thinking about what they are doing. An experienced pro who relaxes and gets too casual can be just as dangerous as a rooky. Like that video of that DEA agent who shot himself in the leg, putting on a demo at a school. Practice and practice some more. But don't ever get to the point where you think you can let your guard down. Always think about what you are doing.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #24

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Agreed...but there is a hidden trap there that you have to watch out for. Repetition to the point where something becomes automatic can cause some people to get careless. They rely on their experience and stop thinking about what they are doing. An experienced pro who relaxes and gets too casual can be just as dangerous as a rooky. Like that video of that DEA agent who shot himself in the leg, putting on a demo at a school. Practice and practice some more. But don't ever get to the point where you think you can let your guard down. Always think about what you are doing.
I be da owney poe-poes I know qual-Ib-ified to hAndow dis gun...
BANG!

Were it anyone else I'd have more compassion but that DEA dork was the epitome of why equal opportunity should be saved for those who operate keyboard and telephones.

Anyone else agree with taking Law Enforcement back to the Merit Based System?

Tack

Old 01-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe a chamber check along with a mag check should be second nature, with loading and unloading. In other words don`t you want to know if you sidearm is loaded before you put it in your holster?
Of course this opens up the carry in condition 1 debate again.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #26

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhett butler

Thanks... She ended up not stupid.

that's hilarious, good to hear, just a funny way to put it...

Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for your knowledge, allways good to learn more. thanks again

Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry for the double post, its my fault.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #29

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Tack
I'd always rack at least twice. That way if you somehow pull a bonehead and forget to eject the magazine rounds start popping out to let you know you screwed up. Most negligent discharges with the pistol in country happen this way. Guy goes to a clearing barrel racks his slide and pulls the trigger forgetting he has a mag in. Negligent discharges are rare with the military, but when they do happen there's almost always a trend.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #30

I just wanted to say that having an accident is no fun but it can really scare the hell out of you enough to get you to CHECK EVERY TIME!!
I personally rack several times, then inspect.

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR