Checking empty pistol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Checking empty pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

My daughter was 4, 18 years ago. She and her friends loved playing in the bed of my pickup. One of my proudest recollections is when she made the boys and girls get out of the truck bed; then, came and found me to point out a spent .22 cartridge.

Go Eddie Eagle !!!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #12

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettButler
My daughter was 4, 18 years ago. She and her friends loved playing in the bed of my pickup. One of my proudest recollections is when she made the boys and girls get out of the truck bed; then, came and found me to point out a spent .22 cartridge.

Go Eddie Eagle !!!
Love it,,, that means someone( probably dad &mom) had taught her to be safe around guns/ammo,,,even at four, wow. Ps kudos on her stepping up and being a leader keeping everyone safe,awesome. ...

Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not only did she have the smarts to recognize it and bring it to an adults attention, but she took action to ensure the safety of others around her. Awesome. It that doesn't deserve and extra cookie after dinner, nothing does.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #14

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
Not only did she have the smarts to recognize it and bring it to an adults attention, but she took action to ensure the safety of others around her. Awesome. It that doesn't deserve and extra cookie after dinner, nothing does.
Thats a good intelligent girl right there

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

My dad is retired cop and he has 3 revolvers in the house. He now works at my neighbors liquor store and conceal carries his 6 shot to work all the time. When ever he gets home he opens the cylinder, dumps out 6 bullets, counts the 6 bullets out loud then takes the gun a dry fires it to the ground 10 times... I get so annoyed with this u have no idea... I tell him all the time "what is an extra rd magically going to appear in and already checked empty cylinder? U don't see me dry fire my ar15 30 times cuz I took a 30rd clip off do u?

Ik this is safe practice buts it's way over kill to me. Semi autos are good to do this just incase u didn't see the bullet in the chamber or something and u hand the gun off.

I asked my dad to show me his guns when I was really young and knew where he keeps them my whole childhood. But I never go and play with them on my own cuz i knew if I asked with him he would let me see them.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #16

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
When ever he gets home he opens the cylinder, dumps out 6 bullets, counts the 6 bullets out loud then takes the gun a dry fires it to the ground 10 times... I get so annoyed with this u have no idea... I tell him all the time "what is an extra rd magically going to appear in and already checked empty cylinder?
This happened to me. I practice draw and fire every night before going to bed with an empty cylinder. One night I was on the phone, and so decided to simply practice my trigger pull. I unloaded my gun, pointed it towards the wall, took aim and pulled the trigger five times. Taking a squeeze on the trigger for the sixth time, I noticed something strange out of the corner of my eye- five rounds sitting on top of the dresser.

Disaster narrowly avoided. A smith and wesson revolver is safe to dry fire, the manufacturer says so. But the manufacturer can not be held liable for stupidity or carelessness.

I was being careless, and trying to multitask by practicing my trigger pull while on the phone. I still kick myself, and now I empty the gun, have my wife double check it, and do my nightly drill in another room entirely away from the ammo.

I don't even want snap caps. S&W says it's okay to dry fire my gun, therefore I don't want anything at all in the cylinder. It may be a minimal risk, but I don't want to take the chance of a mix up.

And I for damn sure don't do it while distracted anymore.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #17

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There are only a select few people that i fully trust my life to, and i mean select. Whenever the SHTF,doors got kicked in, and all you know is that there are armed occupants inside ,they were right there beside me when others wouldnt even walk up the steps. They are highly proficient with firearms and Even if they were to hand me a firearm that was unloaded, i still check it again for my own sake.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 01-30-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #18

You can never check it enough IMO. I work on draw and aim techniques every night at the house. I keep my gun in the nightstand beside the bed and the magazine is full. There is not one in the pipe and the only other person in the house is my wife who would never touch the gun (until she can properly learn to handle it after she has the baby) but I still check the chamber two or three times before doing anything. It only takes one mistake...

Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Seems like these folks have potentially a dangerous habit.

Pulling the trigger seems like a really dangerous way to see if a gun is loaded, even if the gun is pointed down range.

A skilled and thorough visual check should suffice.

During cease fire, the local range here requires a yellow plastic chamber flag be placed in the open actions. The flags make it easy for the RSO to do a quick visual before allowing folks down range.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #20

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Thats a good intelligent girl right there
And don't get between her and a 4" S&W Mdl 15, less you're a quarter mile away. Then, be careful.

Thanks... She ended up not stupid. She's the one I gave my ~1990's Buckmark.