Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Checking empty pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/checking-empty-pistol-56605/)

11Handicap 01-30-2012 02:34 AM

Checking empty pistol

I noticed a few shooters at the range doing a routine to clear there weapon after shooting. They would drop the magazine, rack the slide a few times and dry fire the weapon down range just to be sure. Then open the action and do visual. Is this typical and good practice. I am considering copying it, as a means of being sure the weapon is empty and clear. These were pretty good shooters, not cowboys and appeared to be very safety conscious as I am.

pfev1980 01-30-2012 02:38 AM

I don't normally dry fire mine, but I do everything else every time I pick up a firearm unless I actually want it to be loaded. I do the same before putting one down as well even if I checked it when I picked it up and know I didn't load it. Just good practice and it could save a life.

trip286 01-30-2012 02:39 AM

Drop mag, pull side to the rear, visually check.

It's so much easier and saves a little wear and tear. For some guns, like the 1911, it's not recommended to let the slide slam home on an empty chamber, and on others like rim fires, it's generally not a good idea to dry fire too often.

MrWray 01-30-2012 02:45 AM

I dont feel the need to rack the slide several times and dry fire it. I always drop the mag and pull the slide back to eject the chambered round "if i didnt finish the mag",then i look inside the chamber to visually see its empty. Safety comes first so you clear your firearm the way that your comfotable with.

Paladin201 01-30-2012 03:18 AM

Why do we have two of these threads going back to back?

c3shooter 01-30-2012 03:28 AM

Pruned the other thread. 11 H, please post one at a time, wait for the answers.

RhettButler 01-30-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray
I dont feel the need to rack the slide several times and dry fire it. I always drop the mag and pull the slide back to eject the chambered round "if i didnt finish the mag",then i look inside the chamber to visually see its empty. Safety comes first so you clear your firearm the way that your comfotable with.

MrWray has good advice. Drop, rack with visual. But, I do pull the trigger on my Glocks as they are safely aimed. If the trigger is forward there's a cartridge in the chamber, conversely if the trigger isn't set, the pistol needs to be charged to fire.

Bear304inc 01-30-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Handicap
I noticed a few shooters at the range doing a routine to clear there weapon after shooting. They would drop the magazine, rack the slide a few times and dry fire the weapon down range just to be sure. Then open the action and do visual. Is this typical and good practice. I am considering copying it, as a means of being sure the weapon is empty and clear. These were pretty good shooters, not cowboys and appeared to be very safety conscious as I am.

Absolutely, I follow the same routine everytime, drop mag, pull slide back, visually check. Except dry firing or racking it back and forth.(I know some weapons supposed to be fine, but cut my teeth on revolvers so old habits die hard) which is the point,, make clearing a routine, will become second nature. Hell my 10yr.old will just look at me sideways if I tried to hand him a gun he didn't see me clear himself.. then will clear it himself,,, before and after. I even tried to test him once and left a dummy round in and proudly report that he caught it immediately. And until I told him it was a test, was really disappointed in ME.

jordan89 01-30-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray
Safety comes first so you clear your firearm the way that your comfotable with.

Exactly. There is no such thing as "to safe". I don't care if you want to check your firearm 100 times before putting in away. I would much rather you do that than harm yourself or anyone else.

willfully armed 01-30-2012 04:58 AM

The IDPA way.

Unload

Show me empty

Slide down, hammer down

Holster.