CHEAP .45s - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > CHEAP .45s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

i don't really know much about building a 1911 but if your looking for a quality lower end 1911 platform rock island armory makes a nice firearm that lots of people say compares to the lower end kimbers in quality. so you might try taking a look at that

Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #62

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

lol yes i'll get right on that

Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'll second Axxe on that - you would be better off buying a used 1911 and then try to upgrade when the wallet allows.

Like anything, there is a learning curve. Watch Nutnfancys on YouTube - he has a pro work on his 1911 for accuracy upgrade. Little tricks to fitting parts etc that are difficult to learn from books etc. N if you screw it up, then you have to factor in gunsmith fees and the price of the whole project goes up. Worse yet, you could end up w expensive project that doesn't shoot well. .

Go to your gun club often & local ranges. Bulletin boards have ads. Some poor SOB will be either be getting married or divorced & both are often the cause for liquidation @ fire sale prices. Hell, one soon to be X-wife got so mad she sold her hubby's Colts & Kimbers for $1 dollar a piece.

Yeah, Life ain't fair but I suppose you already know that...

Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #64
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I have a RIA 1911 CS that I bought used with plans of use as a carry piece. However I quickly found a quirk with it. At the range after about 50 rounds, it begins to fail to close the chamber all the way every third round or so. So far I've found no one who knows why this is happening, but I think it might be why it was for sale in the first place. An acquaintance of mine is likely going to buy it from me in the next month or so, for some reason he is not as concerned with this as I am. It's probably just a fluke, but it makes me not want another RIA. Sad, because it's a pretty nice shooter when it actually works. At $350 used, it's definitely cheap but it also malfunctions.
First, try using ARMSCOR 45ACP ammo, I buy mine from ammotogo. also make sure you are using an org RI mag. Look inside the chamber (left side looking down into the chamber, see if there are any brass rubs on the slide lock near the mag. if so you can file it down slightly.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 01-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #65

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
First, try using ARMSCOR 45ACP ammo, I buy mine from ammotogo.
Quote:
also make sure you are using an org RI mag
. Look inside the chamber (left side looking down into the chamber, see if there are any brass rubs on the slide lock near the mag. if so you can file it down slightly.
The ACT mag that came with mine got replaced quickly--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiabe1
yours is nice where did you get the wood grips
Hogue grips from midwayusa

Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #67

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I bought a Para G.I. Expert this past fall and its a very good 1911. Its more accurate than my brothers Ruger. Its also American made which is another plus.

I have a Taurus PT-145 thats been my daily carry gun going on 5yrs. Its a darned good carry gun. It has never malfunctioned, its accurate for a short barreled semi, and it holds 10rds. I like this Taurus alot. Ive heard all the crap online about them and most of it is BS. Im not saying they dont have issues but who doesnt. Taurus is a good reliable gun. If you like it buy it.