CHEAP .45s - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > CHEAP .45s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
If you are looking for an inexpensive .45 you can find a Ruger P90 for about $275.
I currently have a ruger p90 and i find it to be a great gun. I actually managed to get mine for a really good deal, and i love it.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #32

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There is no question used is sometimes an incredible value.

I bought the one pictured below cheaply a few years ago when it was covered with greasy dirt for about $300. It is a 1915. It sits in a serial # range that went off to France in early WWI. With a little effort I backtracked it. Navy Arms imported it from Argentina before someone bought it and in 2005 later sold it to the man I bought it from. I soaked it in Hoppes in an ultra sound tank and replaced some worn springs and today it shoots just fine. The issue of how it survived WWs I & II then found its way to Argentina and who the previous owners were is perhaps a story humans will never know. [It'd probably make a great movie though.]

With any 1911 clone your primary issue is not who makes it, or how much it costs, but rather instead did the maker follow the blueprints faithfully? Between J.M. Browning and the US Army (who released the blueprints to the US Archives) a lot of thought went into designing something reliable. Issues sometimes crop up with well made Clones made of inferior steels which are then fired and fired and fired until finally something wears out, but this is usually thousands of shots away from when new. Most people seeking a piece for comfort have no intention of needing such comfort thousands of times. Once or twice a lifetime is usually more than enough for most of humanity. Sadly, what we run into in Clones, and what keeps the prices down in many, is inconsistent quality control during manufacture. Often when the company is new, quality control of that first shipment is very high. Then a few weeks later the master machinist is laid off and replaced with some kid who thinks he knows what he is doing but works much cheaper, then they run out of the correct steels, so they improvise by buying cheaper steels, someone else decides a few bucks can be saved by skipping this step, or adding a decimal point to a tolerance, or using cheaper lathes and mills, etc. Enough complaints come in, the sales slip and one of two things usually happen. The company closes its doors, OR, steps are taken to regain consumer confidence. The primary stockholder's nephew is moved out of the machinist section and a real machinist is again hired, or a decision is made to follow the blueprint specs, or go back to Bridgeport Mills, etc., and quality moves up again. If the company lasts, it becomes a cycle. If it gets large enough to get a Board of Directors, then either it becomes purchased by another company, or the Board gets serious about quality being part of their name. Eventually they retire or move on and it all begins all over again.

For us buyers we must acknowledge that 5 years ago this or that company was King, but this year, avoid their product and buy brand Z instead, but next year's Z will be junk and brand Q will be the way to go.

overall.jpg  

Last edited by superc; 01-22-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fixed picture size
kiabe1 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #33

If you can adjust yourself to the trigger of the Taurus 24/7 OSS you will find it is the easiest and most accurate of those that you listed.They come with true match grade barrel. Taurus is in the process of releasing the 24/7 OSS genII so there are some smoking deals out there to be had on existing stock on the gen I's(like $299). With the Taurus trigger you do have a true second strike capability if needed(it is the same trigger on my PT-145 that I have for EDC)

I own an American Classic II that is my first foray into the 1911 world. So far so good. I got mine for just under $400 last year. It has the best trigger for an inexpensive 1911 that I found. When I pick it up from my FFL he said that when he inspected it he was surprised at just how tight and well made the pistol was. It has some of the most popular options already installed(beaver tail,low profile Novak style sights, extended safety and slide stop and lightened trigger w/over-stop adjustment). It come with an blued 8 round ACT(aka Novak) magazine with plastic base that works well. It is from what I have read compatible with all the 1911 parts out there. The only change I am thinking about is getting a gold bead installed on the front sight blade(easier to get my aging eyes to pick up the front sight)

I hope that this helps you make your decision on an inexpensive full size 45 pistol.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

During WW2 a lot of companies made small arms for the military. I once had an M1 Carbine made by Frigidaire

Those who live by the sword will be shot by those who don't!

kiabe1 Likes This 
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #35

I have shot several taurus .45, and they all work great. I don't own one myself.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a mil-spec RI that is a good gun. It's surprisingly accurate. It took a break-in period for SW 200gr bullets to feed reliably.
While I like the looks of several Taurus models, I won't own another. About 25 yrs ago I had a model 66 revolver of theirs that was good, but a few years ago I got burned on two semi-auto pistols.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #37

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Rather have a Taurus than ANOTHER RIA

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Depends what you want to do with it. I have a Ruger p90 for plinking and its a enjoyable firearm.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #39
P90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Then your experience has been different than mine.
His experience has been same as mine. Are we talking experience or opinions?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #40
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Which One?

Ria all the way!!!!!!!
mina1.jpg