Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Cerakote (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/cerakote-25887/)

CA357 04-10-2010 04:29 PM

Cerakote

I think I'm going to have my Sistema Colt Cerakoated. it's supposed to be a Teflon coating of some sort.

The bluing job the 'smith put on it is wearing off at an alarming rate and I don't even carry it. So since I've got so much invested in this pistol, I think it needs a good finish. In a way, I hate to spend more money on it, but, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I'll have the nicest looking overpriced, overspent fifty plus year old Sistema on the planet. :rolleyes:

I'm having it done all black with a finish similar to what my CZ 75B had. Sort of a semi-gloss black.

The guy is giving me a great price since he wants to build up his business. He's on a California gun board that I frequent. The only negative is an almost two hour drive to get to him.

So, I'm pretty much committed to doing this, but I'd like to know if anyone here has had Cerakoting done and how it's held up?

CA357 04-11-2010 02:13 AM

Anybody?

canebrake 04-11-2010 02:34 AM

Don I've had the Cerakote on Canebrake for near one year now and no sign of wear.

I think it's a great finish.

It's not Teflon though, it's a ceramic coating.

NIC Industries - Cerakote

Go for it! I'm sure you'll love it!

CA357 04-11-2010 03:08 AM

Sounds good to me. Thanks Cane.

CA357 04-11-2010 03:09 AM

This is the finish I'm going with, graphite: NIC Industries - Handgun Gallery

M14sRock 04-11-2010 04:51 AM

Have you given any thought to doing it yourself?

Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat 4 oz Aerosol Black - MidwayUSA

CA357 04-11-2010 07:41 PM

Wow! That may be a possibility. I wonder how it will do over the matte blue?

I won't be taking it to the guy for Cerakoting. He emailed me that the import mark is too deep to remove. If I'm going to pay someone to refinish it, I want the import mark gone.

The alternative is to send it to Ford's for a high dollar refinish and I really can't afford that. That would probably run me around three hundred or more plus the turnaround time can be lengthy.

I may try that Wheeler stuff. Thanks for the link. Have you tried it?

I think I'll sit tight for now. I don't make the best decisions when I make a snap judgment.

Thanks for the input gents. It looks like I'm still no further ahead.

CA357 04-11-2010 08:19 PM

I went ahead and ordered the CeraamaCoat. We'll see. It won't look worse, that's for sure. ;)

M14sRock 04-12-2010 12:29 AM

Depending on where the import mark is located, removing it CAN enter a technical grey area of legality. Technically. Is your mark on the frame, or slide? The big problem with removing it is proving what was actually removed. If "they" think it was a serial number, not an import mark, you will have some 'splaining to do.

I have not used the Wheeler CeramaKote, but I use the Brownells/KG Products Gun Kote all the time and they work about the same. I do have a sand blasting cabinet, so would use that prior to coating. But if you have some fine sandpaper, just rough up the surface, wipe with acetone and follow the directions. If you feel like a road trip to LA, bring it down and we can knock it out in a half an hour, plus the baking time.

Most of the "do it yourself" finishes turn out pretty well if the directions are followed.

Do you know anyone who owns a machine shop, or full service auto parts store near you? They will have a blasting cabinet and might blast your parts for you. You could also lightly sand down the edges of the import mark so that it does not protrude, then blast the snot out of it and paint. It will still show, but not be too obvious.

CA357 04-12-2010 02:31 AM

Here's the import mark, it's large and deep. I'm just going to live with it. the pistol was blasted before it was blued and I'll use bluing remover and then degrease it.

It should take pretty well. If not, I'm not really any further behind than I am now.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...th_1911001.jpg