ccw reccomendation - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

ccw reccomendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hello, all I'm new here and i carry c9 hipoint if that helps on a vote.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #12

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman895 View Post
The only pistol that i have right now is my colt .45 which while is quite nice is well..... a little bit hard to conceal and ill admit my slight hesitation with having to carry a single action pistol around with a cocked hammer for as i was instructed in my class when carrying, you carry ready to go.
I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

The fears expressed are of personal self control, not weapon safety, grow up and take responsibility! OR, don't take the CCW permit and DO NOT carry!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #13

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
Hello, all I'm new here and i carry c9 hipoint if that helps on a vote.
Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You should familiarize yourself with as many candidates as you can, and consider what you wear, and what you do on a given day. I'm a landscaper so I'm up and down out of trucks, on all 4's, up in trees, etc... so a hip holster and a large firearm won't do. If I wore a suit every day and didn't have to worry about exposure, my options would be much broader. I carry IWB at 12:30 with a 4" XD 9 in a Blackhawk soft holster, and do so in shorts and a shirt long enough to cover it. It doesn't make for the quickest presentation because the gun isn't on line with the target as it would be on my hip. I have to rotate it on 2 axes as opposed to 1, but practice gets it there fast enough.
Think about the firearm, but think about where and how you will CC it, and how it will affect your ability to move without revealing it.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #15

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default 1911 Holster

Whether you go ITP, Belt Slide, of full outer holster, 3 important things to remeber with the 1911...
1. Be sure the back of your holster is high enough to keep leather between your body and the thumb safety...
I've never "found" my thumb safety deactived but believe it "could happen" especially if your old enough to have love handles and allow them to rub the side of the gun.
2. Be sure the holster completely covers the trigger.
3. Don't be in such a hurry that your deactivating the thumb safety before you've cleared leather, there's plenty of time to "flick" it off once your out of the holster and raising the gun to engage your target.

Good luck and be safe...

Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #16

Liked 340 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's a pretty long list, and it just boils down to your budget and personal preferences.

If you're able to spend $700-1000, a 4" 1911 is tough to beat. This is probably a good place to start since you're already familiar with the platform.

The $400-700 range pretty well includes all polymer options, some nice, light revolvers, or something along the lines of CZ's P-01. You can also find some used (but like-new) Sigs in this range.

Under $400? I know a number of people like Kel-Tecs for carry guns. There's also the .38 Ruger LCR and .380 LCP, at about $300 each.

If price is no option, Rohrbaugh makes some pretty cool 9mm compacts...but at that point you could just add a few bucks and buy a Nighthawk T3.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #17

thanks tackleberry and sweeper ill keep both of those lil tidbits in mind and thanks rick to you to if i end up using my 1911 ill take your advice. Which ill probably end up using my 1911 because money is a little tight right now hopefully though by Oct when i do turn 21 ill have another job so ill have the $ for a nice double action .45 compact or maybe a .40

Newest Threads