Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   ccw reccomendation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ccw-reccomendation-24913/)

waxman895 03-20-2010 07:38 PM

ccw reccomendation

hey im working towards my ccw and while im only 20 years im getting the tests done now so they day i turn 21 ill be able to apply for it immediately, but my question to you all is what is your reccomendation for which pistol to carry? the only pistol that i have right now is my colt .45 which while is quite nice is well..... a little bit hard to conceal and ill admit my slight hesitation with having to carry a single action pistol around with a cocked hammer for as i was instructed in my class when carrying, you carry ready to go. So let me know what you all think, compacts, revolvers, calibers, full sized, semi autos, glocks, smith and wesson, ruger, colt?

mudslinger79 03-20-2010 10:34 PM

I carry a Ruger P95...but I also open carry...here in Va its legal.

jimbobpissypants 03-20-2010 11:05 PM

Sig 239 (single stack)
sig 229 (double stack)
Choose your caliber. Both are great for ccw. Sig is known world wide for their quality.
They can be pricey. Don't be afraid to buy these guns used.

russ 03-20-2010 11:11 PM

I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P40c. Plenty of stopping power and conceals pretty well.

There are lots of options based on your budget and firearm preferences.

mudslinger79 03-21-2010 01:09 AM

hell strap a short barrel, pump action 12 gauge to your back and carry on.... wait you may get looks.....:confused:

Gojubrian 03-21-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waxman895 (Post 253408)
hey im working towards my ccw and while im only 20 years im getting the tests done now so they day i turn 21 ill be able to apply for it immediately, but my question to you all is what is your reccomendation for which pistol to carry? the only pistol that i have right now is my colt .45 which while is quite nice is well..... a little bit hard to conceal and ill admit my slight hesitation with having to carry a single action pistol around with a cocked hammer for as i was instructed in my class when carrying, you carry ready to go. So let me know what you all think, compacts, revolvers, calibers, full sized, semi autos, glocks, smith and wesson, ruger, colt?

How are you, "getting the tests done" ?? You do it all in a few hours here.

What kind of Colt .45? A 1911?

I carry a Kimber Pra Carry 2 cocked and locked. Draw and slip the safety doen with one hand very quickly.

Too many to suggest. You need to be specific on what you want and what price range.

Tackleberry1 03-21-2010 01:51 AM

You say you have a Colt .45. I'm going to assume it's a 1911 and tell you that a full size Colt Series 80 was my first carry gun. These are very concealble and hide better than just about any other full size auto. They are single stack and have one of the thinest profiles of any gun on the market. A 5" 1911 can be a bit on the long side but this is easily handled with a good leather ITP "In the Pants" holster. Pick up a dual mag pouch for your weak side and your good to go. My Colt is now a SAFE QUEEN but only because I was able to afford a 4" Kimber which does carry a bit easier than that 5" Colt.

I own a Sig 226 and an XD .45, love to shoot both of them but for good CCW in a FULL Size, FULL Power gun, you can't beat a 1911...:)

waxman895 03-22-2010 01:03 AM

i took the test and now i have just have to do 3-5 hours range time to be approved to get my certificate then i can go apple for the ccw because we are required to take an 8-10 hr class for it. and yea sorry forgot to say its and orginial 1911 clone, single stack 8 rounds of .45 stopping power

MTS840 03-22-2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

Try to handle and fire as many different guns as you can before making your decision. What works for someone else may not work for you.

If you want to stick with a 1911 format, you can find smaller guns from a lot of companies.

If you want something different, the market is wide open.

Rick1967 03-22-2010 02:32 AM

I understand your concern about carrying cocked and locked. I was afraid of it for a while. I used to carry a bunch of different guns. All were double action. At the advice of another shooter I carried my 1911 unloaded around my house for several hours for several days. My fear was that I would find the safety accidentally deactivated. That never happened. The 1911 is a very safe gun. They are designed so that the grip safety must be depressed, the thumb safety in the off position and pressure on the trigger to go off. Even after a hundred years of inovations in firearms, it is difficult to find a pistol with a higher level of safety. I don't count stupid stuff like safeties that stop the gun from shooting when the mag is released.