CCW - pocket pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > CCW - pocket pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW - pocket pistol

I'm brand new to this sight. I tried searching for some info on this but couldn't find anything, sorry if there are some threads already.

But anyway. I'm looking for a nice compact concealed carry semi-auto. I've done some research on a few and have narrowed it down. I'm mainly looking a .380 as I'm a smaller framed guy and am looking for something I can carry 365 regardless of clothing. My main interests are the ruger lcp, Taurus tcp 738 and north American arms guardian. I'm looking for something the conceals easy in a pocket, is reliable and will shoot comfortably without chewing my hand up. I have also considered wheel guns, but am leaning more towards the semis for concelabity.

Has anyone had the pleasure to shoot all three or at least 2 of three to compare.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The LCP is very popular with many folks and is the right size & weight to be a good pocket gun (ditto for the Kel-Tec P3AT). I will never own a Taurus again so I can't help you there - just not a brand I'd stake my life on. The NAA is a nice gun and a good shooter but it is also quite heavy. My "little gun" of choice is a Sig P238...

Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #3

I've looked into the sig. Nice guns, my father carries a sig .40 ( not sure of the model) so when I'm looking for something a bit bigger I'll most likely get one. I especially love that equinox finish. However, I'm looking for something DAO though. I've read some things about kel-tek that have kind of turned me off of that gun.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #4

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I just got a ruger .380 lcp. And iI like it alot, But I also still like my .38 s/w snubnose revolver. Both are nice to switch off with each other,from time to time.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

LCP is my main carry. Ruger is hitting the 500,000 mark in units sold so it's clearly proven, reliable, comfortable and popular. Once you get used to the slim 10 oz... it's hard to go back to anything bigger/heavier. If you're a little hesitant due to capacity, I suggest getting the 10-rd. mag available from ProMag... I nearly always carry mine loaded with it now in an inside-the pants holster. Though obviously causing a longer "handle", the mag is so thin it's still easily concealable and comfortable riding atop my beltline, covered with an untucked shirt. Sometimes I just slip it in my front pants/shorts pocket (upside-down... muzzle facing back) and that works fine too. I feel confident packing 11 rds. of .380. Yeah, it's a little snappy shooting a 10 oz. gun, but the added handle provided by the 10-rd. mag helps on that score too. Like the LCP a lot(!) for what it's designed for: Concealed Carry. It's much better quality than those other two you mentioned IMHO.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
It's much better quality than those other two you mentioned IMHO.
The NAA Guardian is an extremely well made, high quality gun. The only drawback is it's a bit heavy. Here was mine...

Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #7

i don't mind a slightly heavier gun. i'd like to shoot all 3 but may only have the chance to fire the ruger and taurus. i think the weight of the NAA might help with comfortability on the range.

for those who don't like the taurus, what is the reasoning behind it? i know they aren't an american company, is there some resentment in that, or is there problems associated with the gun itself?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If one hangs out on gun forums for very long it kinda becomes clear that Taurus isn't exactly famous for high quality/materials/reliability in general. (But, of course, some people will always speak up and praise theirs... so I expect a rebuttal or two before the day's out.)

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 10-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabs311 View Post
i don't mind a slightly heavier gun. i'd like to shoot all 3 but may only have the chance to fire the ruger and taurus. i think the weight of the NAA might help with comfortability on the range.

for those who don't like the taurus, what is the reasoning behind it? i know they aren't an american company, is there some resentment in that, or is there problems associated with the gun itself?
Spend about 10 minutes on Google looking up Taurii and you'll see why many of us won't mess with them. The QC is terrible and they ship a lot of lemons. If you get a good one, they're OK guns - but are you willing to take that risk???

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

i have done some reaserch (not much on forums, this is my first venture) most of what i've read has praised all options i'm interested in. the only problem with some literature and periodicals is the fact that the manufacturers often are the ones paying that particular magazine or websites bills through advertisements, so that would deter someone from giving a bad review. that's why i'm here looking for more info.

this is good cause the taurus was actually my top choice, looks as though i may be changing my mind. i though that they moved some of their manufacturing to Florida and have since had some better qualty output?

seem like th ruger has a good following anyone else care to comment on the reliability of the NAA? i've heard it's the closest u can come to seecamp without waiting a couple years and paying a hefty price.