Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Carbines... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/carbines-52074/)

BeyondTheBox 11-19-2011 01:02 AM

Carbines...

So what category do these fall in? I found myself having a hard time figuring out where to even post this thread.

Anyway, I've been thinkin', even before I looked at getting into pistols and carry pieces, about getting one of those cool lookin', cheapo, plinkin' fun carbines from Hi-Point... the 45acp version. I started to wonder if it had any practical uses/applications other than the occasional milk jug and bottle of colored water. I mean, can one hunt with this thing?

I've been a long time archer/bow hunter, and never really respected the rifle hunting frame of mind, thought it terribly unsporting. However, as of late, I've found the fun in firearms, and have been entertaining the idea of rifle hunting. So I'm curious, are these "Carbines" considered rifles? Are they legal hunting arms? Would they even have the range to be of use if they were?

I'm very unfamiliar with these types of firearms and was hoping for a little education. I think, either way, I will get one, for the pure enjoyment of firing the queer little things, but am still hoping to justify the purchase with something more practical as well.

JonM 11-19-2011 01:13 AM

personally ive never seen any difference between a rifle and a hi-powered compound bow with pin sights.

anyway a carbine is a rifle that is lighter weight with a shorter barrel. its got nothing to do with caliber or the round used.

pistol calibers in 45acp and 9mm while excellent for self defense just arent good for hunting.

for pistol caliber i would hesitate to use anything less than 44magnum in a hunting rifle type carbine altho 45lc would work quite well too.

CHLChris 11-19-2011 01:15 AM

There are many questions you are asking that are really good! First, you don't want legal advice here concerning hunting laws, which are different state to state. You'll want to check your own state.

The ballistics for handgun caliber carbines are not as amazing as you might think. For example, 9mm only increases velocity--over a handgun barrel--about 20%. Most handgun calibers were first invented FOR short barrels, so longer barrels don't make a huge difference.

.357mag, on the other hand, was created for a rifle. That caliber increases in velocity about 50%!!! Even with this huge increase in velocity and power, a .357mag round out of an 18" barrel (such as a Marlin 1894c lever action carbine) still does not match the power of a .30-30.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt with a pistol caliber carbine, but they could play a good role in home defense.

BeyondTheBox 11-19-2011 01:26 AM

Interesting. Good info here. Thanks fellas. Guess I have no further justification for the Carbine other than I just want one for fun. Hahaha.

I was already planning on getting a hunting rifle, just thought it would be cool if the Carbine could double as a backup. Guess, instead, it will have to do as a toy. Probably not the best thing to call a firearm, but it's got to be the best categorization I can figure.

BeyondTheBox 11-19-2011 01:35 AM

Think, in that case then, I'll go for the .40S&W instead. Should round of the collection nicely.

danf_fl 11-19-2011 09:23 AM

Now to answer the question of where this belongs...

How about the general rifle area?

sweeper22 11-19-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 631200)
Personally, I wouldn't hunt with a pistol caliber carbine, but they could play a good role in home defense.

Exactly. There's no reason to hunt with something that will probably necessitate multiple hits to make a kill.

Pistol carbines are good as utility rifles, plinkers, and can be practical in home defense. They actually could arguably be outstanding home defense rifles.

My $350 KelTec 9mm Sub2000:
-Feels far more compact than an 18" HD shotgun
-Weighs just 4lbs unloaded
-Can accept 10, 17, or 31rd mags
-Easily strikes any 4-6" target inside of 100yds (even in my hands)
-Has minimal recoil
-Ultimately becomes a 357sig, ballistically

It's an interesting suvival rifle. A very fun, extremely affordable toy. It might make for some fine zombie deterrant. But a hunting gun it will never be.

BillM 11-19-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 631200)
.357mag, on the other hand, was created for a rifle.

Just curious---why do you say the 357 magnum was "created for a rifle"?

I thought the 357 was first chambered in revolvers by Smith and Wesson
in the mid 1930's.

mmcmsse9 11-19-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 631211)
Think, in that case then, I'll go for the .40S&W instead. Should round of the collection nicely.

Since it will be mainly a plinking fun gun, you might want to consider 9mm just because of ammo cost.

CarlsbadRanger06 12-10-2011 03:09 AM

A carbine is a rifle. Some examples:

M4 Carbine
AR-15 (full length OR carbine versions)
Mini 14 (Ranch Hand
Carcano (some folks seem to think this rifle killed JFK)
M1 Carbine (.30 Caliber WWII Era)
SKS
Ruger 10/22
17 HMR
Browning A Bolt- MH
Remington Model 7 SS
Ruger M77CR
Ruger M77FR
Winchester Model 70 Compact

These are just a few "Carbines", or "Compact Rifles".

The M4, or AR-15, CAR-15, and many similar rifles make excellent hunting rifles and are capable of killing deer and other medium sized game. I personally don't recommend firing a 5.56 @ anything larger than deer, but that's just MHO.

Just look around. That's half the fun!