Caracal 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Caracal 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Caracal 9mm

I was at the range this morning. They were busy and there was a wait. While waiting I was looking over their rental guns and saw a gun with an odd name and an even odder appearance. A Caracal. Never heard of it before. I asked the guy to let me see it and was surprised to see it was made in the UAE (United Arab Emirates). Function wise, it's a striker fired gun, similar to a Glock or an XD, but that's where the resemblance ends. No other gun looks anything like it. For one thing, the top of the slide is completely round. I checked it out online and it's made in two models, F and C, for Full Size and Compact. Capacity on the full size model is a whopping 18+1. This gun definitely had my curiosity meter pegged. Until I saw the price. Street price on Gunbroker runs around $650.

caracal.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #2

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I was at the range this morning. They were busy and there was a wait. While waiting I was looking over their rental guns and saw a gun with an odd name and an even odder appearance. A Caracal. Never heard of it before. I asked the guy to let me see it and was surprised to see it was made in the UAE (United Arab Emirates). Function wise, it's a striker fired gun, similar to a Glock or an XD, but that's where the resemblance ends. No other gun looks anything like it. For one thing, the top of the slide is completely round. I checked it out online and it's made in two models, F and C, for Full Size and Compact. Capacity on the full size model is a whopping 18+1. This gun definitely had my curiosity meter pegged. Until I saw the price. Street price on Gunbroker runs around $650.
Never seen it before but if it's built by Arabs they can keep it. Typical Muslim mentality of "if Alah wills it, it will work" does not really lend itself to thoughtful engineering.

Tack

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Never seen it before but if it's built by Arabs they can keep it. Typical Muslim mentality of "if Alah wills it, it will work" does not really lend itself to thoughtful engineering.

Tack
Ditto here. Looks like a g***k trigger.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That Caracal is pretty known for it's thin round slide. But not really known at all here in the states. And because of this the price reflects where you live. They are not common here in California, so that seems about what they would go for and being that much, they don't exactly sell quickly either. I have shot one before, it feels much like you said, a glock or an xd. It does have a fairly large mag cap but that's about where the nice features end, you're of course much better off with the other guys. Good find! It's always fun holding and shooting something you have never seen or heard of before.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #5

Shooter's Connection sells them. They must be a distributor or something.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I didn't shoot it, but dry fired it a couple of times. The trigger definitely acts and feels more like a Glock than an XD.

I have everything I need in the way of "service" guns. So anything I buy now is usually for fun. And I like unusual guns. Just for the novelty. I have purchased guns, shot them for a while and then sold them, considering any loss I take as payment for services rendered. More like renting the gun then buying it really. And this gun definitely caught my eye, and raised my curiosity. But the price killed that thought before it even got started. I don't have the kind of money to spend that much on a gun just to play around with it for a while. But I'll definitely rent it next time I'm at the range. Just to say I shot it.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I didn't shoot it, but dry fired it a couple of times. The trigger definitely acts and feels more like a Glock than an XD.

I have everything I need in the way of "service" guns. So anything I buy now is usually for fun. And I like unusual guns. Just for the novelty. I have purchased guns, shot them for a while and then sold them, considering any loss I take as payment for services rendered. More like renting the gun then buying it really. And this gun definitely caught my eye, and raised my curiosity. But the price killed that thought before it even got started. I don't have the kind of money to spend that much on a gun just to play around with it for a while. But I'll definitely rent it next time I'm at the range. Just to say I shot it.
Do it! There's something about shooting a gun that your not sure whether it's going to kick you on your butt, blow up in your hand, or put the whole mag OT. Kinda like driving the piss out of an old 67' 427 Cobra, you know it could kill you at anytime but it's too exhilarating to stop.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK, don't waste time posting stuff about new/interesting guns you encounter. Got it.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #9

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

For the retail price and unknown CS there are others to pick from that are of known quality. It looks like they used this for a design. The Steyr M-A1

Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Thats definitely interesting. Ive never seen one before an I dig weird guns. As for it bein Arab made. F that! They get enough of my money already.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson